blackberry beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
I just finished my 3rd brew Saturday night. Tonight I bottled my 2nd batch ever. I'm already planning my 4th brew.

I have been contemplating a ruby clone (basically an american wheat with raspberry). A friend mentioned that blackberry season is coming up and that I should try that instead of raspberry.

Any thoughts on brewing with blackberries? Any recipes? Please keep in mind I'm only doing extract brews for now.

I've been considering doing a blackberry & nettle wheat... haven't got space at the moment though so it's only a thought.

I made a Blackberry Brown a few years back which was said to be one of my best in 20+ years of brewing. I "usually" don't like fruit beers, but my son requested it so I made it for him.

Blackberry Brown sounds fantastic. Do you happen to have a recipe?

Perhaps I can just find a brown ale recipe and add blackberries to it? Would I just add lots of pasteurized blackberries to a secondary? Is there more to it?

Blackberry Brown sounds fantastic. Do you happen to have a recipe?

Perhaps I can just find a brown ale recipe and add blackberries to it? Would I just add lots of pasteurized blackberries to a secondary? Is there more to it?

I used a recipe from the book The Homebrewers Recipe Guide ($11 on Amazon). The Brown recipe was so solid it has now become one of my standard brews. I only added Blackberries to that one batch but have made that Brown in different variations several times since (adding honey to the primary made a nice Honey Brown). I usually add the fruit to the primary, I did with that Blackberry Brown - I believe it was two pints worth of crushed fruit that was fresh, then I froze for several hours and thawed again before the crush to improve the juicing process. I can post or IM you the recipe when I get home (if I remember - sorry age catching up to me...).

I'm in the process of doing a blackberry lambic/sour beer. 1.5 pounds of ground-up blackberries. I figured it would be a good break from the ordinary (and overdone) cherry and raspberry beers.

Here it is:

6 1/2 lbs 2 row malt
1 lb Crystal 60L malt
1/2 lb Cara-Pils malt
1/4 lb Chocolate malt
1 oz Fuggles hops (boil 60 min)
1 oz Liberty hops (boil 5 min)
Safeale S-05 dry yeast
1 1/3 lbs fresh crushed Blackberries (Primary 2 weeks)

This is a solid Brown recipe and as I said earlier, you can modify it easily.

Good luck.

Thanks for the recipe. Is that all grain or extract?

Is there a need to pasteurize the blackberries?

Sounds great, I have a couple pounds of raspberry picked from my yard, and the blackberry's are next. considered doing the same for the wife. Will have to try your recipe.

Thanks for the recipe. Is that all grain or extract?

Is there a need to pasteurize the blackberries?

All grain, but can easily be converted. I did not pasterize the fruit (judgement call), but I waited until after high krausen to minimize contamination. Luckily, it came out clean. As I said earlier, take the fresh berries and freeze them until just hardened, then thaw and crush. You will get much more juice and flavor from them.

i'm starting to run low on my blackberry hefeweizen, and am hating the fact that it is low. got more planned soon. i simmered the blackberries at 172 for about 15 minutes to pasteurize, then dumped the whole thing into the hefe

I think I found the answer to my own question.

So to convert your all grain recipe I remove the 6.5lbs. of 2 row malt and substitute 3.9lbs. of DME.

The other grains are specialty grains? So they are steeped?

Back