black malt, coffee, irish moss: Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottweiser

Reaction score
I'm planning a partial-mash based on Tim's Irish stout recipe. It calls for 1 pound roasted barley, 1 pound crystal malt, and 1/2 pound black malt. I picked up a pound of each and I don't really want to store the extra half pound of black patent. If I just use the whole pound, how will that affect my beer?

I also like the idea of a coffee stout and I'm thinking of adding half a pound of coffee too. Is it okay to do this in addition to all those grains or should I get rid of something?

Finally, how important is Irish Moss?

I would not put a full pound of patent into any batch of beer. it'll have a pretty nasty acrid/ashen taste.

patent is generally used just to add color to a beer, but it does have a relatively unpleasant taste when used in large quantities. I personally have never used more than 1/4 lb in a batch, and even that makes me nervous.

I've made a coffee stout before and liked it a lot. If you are going to add coffee, you might want to consider backing off on the chocolate a little. As stated above, I think there is a WHOLE LOT of patent in the recipe to begin with, so I'd back that off even if I wasn't adding the coffee!

Irish moss is important for clarity, but that's not very critical for dark beers because you likely won't be able to see through this at all.

Awesome thanks for the great info. I think I will do the coffee, drop the patent down to a quarter pound or less, and skip the Irish moss. I have some really nice coffee..I just need to do some research into how to boil it. My instinct is to use it like hops: some for the whole boil for flavor, some at the end for aroma.

Have you ever tasted boiled coffee? It's awful.

Either add it at flameout, or dryhop with it.

Definitely do not boil coffee...it will be way too bitter. I've made a coffee stout with my father's homeroasted beans. You want to crack the beans, but do not fully grind like you would for normal coffee. I used the coffee like dry-hops and it turned out wonderfully.

+1 on the 'not boiling' thing.

When I made my coffee stout, I added 16oz of fresh brewed espresso to it.

edit: I wasn't clear on how I added it here. I actually used the espresso as the liquid for my priming sugar solution at bottling time.

Well I certainly don't want my beer to taste awful. I think I will cold-brew it and add it to the wort after boiling.

I french pressed some cold brew coffee and added it after the boil. I did 16oz and got a big coffee taste which is what I wanted. I depends on how much coffee taste you are looking for but anywhere from 8-20oz of cold brew coffee is what I have read.

Back