Black IPA with coffee flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
Hey all! I brewed a black IPA a couple months ago, I really liked it and it went over well with my family. My dad and grandpa are big beer drinkers. Im brewing with them on Sunday(their first time) and my grandpa asked if we could give it some coffee notes. I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. Or if it is gonna be a very good idea. Should we do it? And how should I go about it?

Black ipa is one of my favorite styles to brew. What I've noticed makes a good one is the lack of roast or burnt flavor. Those flavors do not go well with citrus/bitterness from hops. I've always been under the impression with this style that if you close your eyes and sip it, you wouldn't know that it is black. Harpoon has the best commercial example I've ever had and theirs is like this.

That being said, you can make anything you want. If you want some coffee flavor, I'd recommend a 1/4 lb of black patent.

I ask because I botched a batch once that I tried to customize. Do black IPAs taste okay with coffee notes? Or do you think the flavors will clash?

Stone's Dayman IPA was really, really good. Even though it wasn't a black IPA, I don't see why you couldn't make it work. Balance is key though.

They can. I did a black ipa that ended up having hops up front, mild coffee notes in the middle and a bit of dark chocolate at the end. It's went over well.

You can add coffee to the boil or in the secondary (many different opinions about how to do this). I haven't done it but definitely thought about it. It would be good. Stone also did a coffee IPA that was good.....I personally think a black IPA would be a better medium. Go for it that is what is awesome about this hobby.

If you add too much dark malt it will become too roasted. IMHO I would add some beans in secondary either by vodka soaking some, cold steeping, or hot steeping. That way you can add a little bit at a time and taste to see if it gives enough of that character. Technically you could also do this in primary after fermentation is done.

Back