Black IPA....oxymoron?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am jumping in way down the line in the conversation, but how about Rocky Mountain Mud?

I like American Dark Bitter.

Since when did beer lovers participate in the deuchy "east coast-west coast" debate?

If we get too into "where" a beer was developed or refined, this will all devolve into an unsolveable argument.

I like American Dark Bitter.

Since when did beer lovers participate in the deuchy "east coast-west coast" debate?

If we get too into "where" a beer was developed or refined, this will all devolve into an unsolveable argument.

Right, like the North-South distinction between English browns. Or how about Irish stouts. Pilsner. Bavarian Hefe. Irish Red. White Labs has regional specific yeasts like East Coast ale and Pacific Ale.

I suppose it only seems *****ey if you're not in the PNW. We need all the claim to fame we can get, our weather really sucks.

... and doesn't sound "oxymoronic" like Black IPA.

Not sure why this is "oxymoronic". Black (Dunkel) Hefeweisens aren't considered "oxymoronic". I guess it is determined on what one interprets the word "Pale" to mean, is it the color of beer or the majority of the type of base malt used?

-WW

Not sure why this is "oxymoronic". Black (Dunkel) Hefeweisens aren't considered "oxymoronic". I guess it is determined on what one interprets the word "Pale" to mean, is it the color of beer or the majority of the type of base malt used?

-WW

Dunkelwiezen literally means "dark wheat beer". You don't refer to them as "Black Hefeweizen". Even if you did, Hefe translates as yeast. There is nothing in that name that infers color. I believe "pale" in terms of Pale Ale or IPA does refer to the actual color, not the type of malt. Even the blackest of stouts use pale malt as a base.

Right, like the North-South distinction between English browns. Or how about Irish stouts. Pilsner. Bavarian Hefe. Irish Red. White Labs has regional specific yeasts like East Coast ale and Pacific Ale.

I suppose it only seems *****ey if you're not in the PNW. We need all the claim to fame we can get, our weather really sucks.

Ireland is a country. Clear it up any?

Despite your elite status as someone who happens to live where you do, we live in the same country. I feel that most styles were probably developed over in this end of the country, maybe because, as you imply, the weather sucks, so we don't have much to do outside! Can't remember the last time I went outside except going to or from the car!lol.

But you do not hear me saying that we should go back and re-name anything do you?

Also, I could make a Dark IPA with all English Hops. Do I then get to name that style? since it is not cascadian?

I had a Victory Yakima Twilight for the first time last Friday at Victory in Downingtown. This was the first time I've ever had this style and I must say I was blown away. :rockin:

I've been going back and forth on what to make for my second official batch of beer and noticed northernbrewer.com has a Black IPA listed. What are your opinions on this ingredient list:

Grains
- 0.25 lbs Dehusked Carafa III
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80
Fermentables
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup (60 min)
- 6 lbs Dark malt syrup late addition (15 min)
- 1 lb Corn Sugar late addition (0 min)
Hops and Flavoring
- 1 oz Summit (60 min)
- 1 oz Simcoe (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Amarillo (0 min)
- 1 oz Ahtanum (dry hop)

WYEAST 1272 AMERICAN ALE YEAST II

The one thing I'm not sure about is the Corn Sugar addition... thoughts on that in particular?

I had a Victory Yakima Twilight for the first time last Friday at Victory in Downingtown. This was the first time I've ever had this style and I must say I was blown away. :rockin:

I've been going back and forth on what to make for my second official batch of beer and noticed northernbrewer.com has a Black IPA listed. What are your opinions on this ingredient list:

Grains
- 0.25 lbs Dehusked Carafa III
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80
Fermentables
- 3.15 lbs Dark malt syrup (60 min)
- 6 lbs Dark malt syrup late addition (15 min)
- 1 lb Corn Sugar late addition (0 min)
Hops and Flavoring
- 1 oz Summit (60 min)
- 1 oz Simcoe (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Amarillo (0 min)
- 1 oz Ahtanum (dry hop)

WYEAST 1272 AMERICAN ALE YEAST II

The one thing I'm not sure about is the Corn Sugar addition... thoughts on that in particular?

I don't even use dark liquid malt extract in my stouts or porters. I don't know why anyone would use it in this style of beer.

Why are people still throwing out names. Why not go with the one people are attached to?

On the Black IPA train. I am thinking about doing a simple extract recipe for this on Sunday.

Ingredients:

6lbs Light DME
1.25lbs coffee steeped at 160 for 10 minutes
3 oz amarillo
3 oz Columbus
Malto-Dextrin
Nottingham

Question 1: How much Malto Dextrin?

Question 2: I have acess to whatever flavor profile of coffee I want (I am a roaster with access to around 50 single origin coffees). What would you all be looking for out of a coffee? I am thinking about using a Tanzanian Peaberry roasted light to keep the malty aroma, and to bring out an orange, bell pepper, roasty flavor. This will keep it low on darkness, but it will be a deep brown color overall.

I am actually going to split this into two half batches and use a single type of hop in each. I want to see what they taste like in all forms on their own.

I don't care about it being oxymoronic, I still like Black IPA. Beer's an IPA, except that it's black, not pale. Everyone says "IPA" anyway, not "India Pale Ale" - the acronym's more important now than the words that form it.

In any case, I'm hoping the LHBS has some de-bittered black malt or some Carafe Special malt or something in that vein; if so, I'll brew a BLACK IPA on Monday, otherwise it'll just be an IPA.

it's more than a color difference, there's a taste difference too. I don't like IPAs that much, but I really enjoy CDAs. Good luck with your Cascadian Dark Ale.

I was not judging anyone. If black IPA is oxymoronic but communicates what is need, cool.

Cascadian is not gonna work because it was not invented in the magical realm of cascadia, and the rest of the country doesn't like the implication that only cascadian hops can be used.

Seems that it was invented by Greg Noonan, in Burlington VT. Early '90s. Rhoobarb had a really good link in the other thread. Some will argue Texas, as well, not sure the specifics there.

Couldn't put my hands on any debittered malt or Carafe Special, so no Black IPA this weekend.

Back