Black Hell Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangecrusher

Reaction score
Hiya folks. I went back in my vault of old recipes to find a good old stout recipe I had made some time ago and I'm wonderin what you guys might suggest for a yeast. My last brew I used a dry yeast for the first time and I was hoping to do that again with this but I don't see anything available that cries out stout.
What da ya think?
RaTfrENSieJbh1DBF-lO4c6AkUcup9DG7-vpksBwTwnanXc8DKn6zj928rHLEiPU-gA_bXdoyrCR5jAjBIM4QKfl-yc9F9twtUc9FAO9wvF602CahW0wqPMOKALBte5YmX8RdV28IyE=w600

For neutral strains, I've used 1056, 1084, and 1728 successfully with stouts. The latter is I think one that does well in stouts, but isn't recommended too often. For some with a noticeable ester profile, I like 1469. Have used 1968 & 1098 before as well. 1968 fermented like a beast in a big stout.

Lots of good dry yeast options. How’s your temperature control?

If you’re going to end up at around 70 F and don’t mind some esters, there’s Lallemand London. If you’ll be anywhere in the 60s and want something neutral, Lallemand Nottingham. Either would give a good beer (though they won’t be the same beer at all) with this recipe.

If you can keep it at 60 F and want to try something, I’ve been really happy doing all sorts of non-Kolsch beers using Lallemand Koln. I’ve done a stout, two porters, a CA Common, and a Grodziskie … and a bunch of Kolsches. It’s a great yeast.

Back