Black element base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hio3791

Reaction score
People using the original Camco elements report that the base of the element either rusts or turns black, like mine. Few report no issues.

I'm curious, what causes it turn black and more importantly, is it safe if comes in contact with food (i.e., wort)?

I'm referring to the boil kettle.

For what is worth, I'm replacing it with a newer SS element, from Bobby.

View attachment 1457447218763.jpg

The bases of those elements are not made of stainless steel and are susceptible to rusting. I've replaced mine with the newer versions that actually have a stainless base but I brewed many batches on mine after it rusted. I coated mine with a food grade silicone to seal it in but other just let it go with no real ill effects.

It's an SS kettle with a Camco 5500W ULWD. Some people say their rusts, others say it turns black, like mine did.

I would just like to understand why it turns black and if it's safe to continue to use?

I ordered a new SS element today.

Its likely galvanic oxidation. Its not red because it is not classic ferrous oxidation. Some voltage potential is across the dissimilar metals is causing it. Probably not the end of the world but I would switch it for a SS base as you are doing.

Latest posts

Back