Black currant apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQB

Reaction score
I thought I'd share a recipe for my black currant cider that I think turned out pretty good.
4.25 gallons apple juice
.75 ga black current juice
1lb table sugar
2 packs lalvin d47. After fermentation I kegged and back sweetened with .25 ga of black currant juice

Great Recipe!! I have been looking for one this week. Can you give me your process notes?? Last time I did a cider, it did not turn out right. Used 5.5 gallons of organic unpastuerized cider with sediment in cider. Boiled the cider, and used some dry yeast. I think US Safeale. Boiled the cider, added it to the Carboy, pitched yeast w/o hydrating it. And called it good. Looking through some of the threads, everyone seems to always add sugar, and back sweeten. I would like to shoot for a strongbow base on the cider. Black currant sounds like a good addition. I forgot, I added organic grapefruit juice as well, like 2 liters.

Please help educate me. I'm pretty green with cider. Do not know what to wAtch for. I also added pectic enzyme to the batch I made. Thanks!!!

I'm no expert but I dont think you need to boil the cider. All I did was dissolve the table sugar into the apple and currant juice by shaking it around in the bottle. Then I just added everything to a carboy with the D47. I fermented it in the low 70s.

I have 2-1/2 gal of fresh pressed sweet cider. I let it go wild and when it was done I added 48 oz. of Black Currant juice (with added sugar). It restarted and went down to 1.000 and tastes great. Just put it in the keg and I'm gonna bottle it still.

Back