Black Cherry Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Not sure if this will turn out, but it sounds like a good winter brew. My only question is how I'd infuse black cherry. In the secondary? In the boil? Extract fruit or real? This is where I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Secondary, and real. Nothing beats the real thing. Freeze the cherries and when you're ready to use them, thaw them out and throw them in the secondary. No further prep needed.

The next question is how much is enough. I know that it's up to the brewer, but because I've never added fruit to a beer, I guess I don't know where to begin. Would it be added by weight? volume? cherries?

I usually add a pound of fruit for each gallon, but it depends on the fruit and the strength of your beer. In an average porter, I'd probably add 4-5lbs of cherries.

I agree with what has been said already. Another thing to add is to get some dehydrated cherries to put in your keg. Thats what I do with fruit beers. I put dehydrated ones in my keg for just that extra touch of flavor and I have had great success with it.

Good luck with the Cherries. I wouldnt try it personally. every time I try to make cherry flavored anything it always tastes like cough syrup to me

I have been thinking about something similar. How did this turn out was it Cough syrup?

Since this thread has been brought back to life, my question would be; does the dried fruit float in the keg?

Back