Black Cherry / Pomegranate Cyser recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I currently have 10.5 gallons of mead/melomels fermenting and about 4 gallons that are in bottles conditioning but i'm getting antsy to start another experimental batch and came up with the following recipe:

1 gallon apple cider
32 oz black cherry juice
32 oz pomegranate juice
2 lb orange blossom honey
1 packet Nottingham yeast
pectic enzyme
nutrients/energizer for SNA

The OG should be around 1.107 (estimating 1.054 for the juices)

Mix everything together in a 2 gallon bucket and do a normal SNA / degassing for the first week, ferment for about a month or so and then rack into a 1 gallon carboy plus a growler (which can be used for future rackings).

The goal is to use a yeast that will max out and leave some residual sweetness. Ideally I'd like to hit around 10% ABV with about 1.010 FG. I've been using Lalvin D-47 which stops around 14% but was considering trying Nottingham instead. Anyone have any experience using Notty in a cyser?

Should I just say screw it and reduce my honey, ferment to 1.000 and then backsweeten? I'd prefer to find a yeast that would tap out without having to deal with back sweetening.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Yeasts are unpredictable and I wouldn't rely on expecting them to stop since my attenuation for beers and mead alike exceed the stated attenuation percentages. With that said, your anticipated OG is huge, which I would think ale yeast would tap out in, which would leave you with your residual sweetness. Also, with the juices I've worked with, they all read around 1.035–1.038 for their SGs. Sounds like a good blend, though. Good luck.

I have done 2 runs (Melomels) with Red Star Cote Des Blanc Yeast after a number of runs with D47 and prefer the almost semi sweet or off dry the Cote produced vs. the dry of the D47. Have not done a Cyser but this one sounds interesting.

I have done 2 runs (Melomels) with Red Star Cote Des Blanc Yeast after a number of runs with D47 and prefer the almost semi sweet or off dry the Cote produced vs. the dry of the D47. Have not done a Cyser but this one sounds interesting.

What kind of abv are you seeing with the cote des blanc yeast? Sounds like it might be a good one to try for this one

Cote ABV for the two Melomels were 13.4 and 13.6 - "it imparts a fruity aroma in both red and white wines and Ciders. A slow fermenter that works best between 50 and 80 degrees. This strain will not ferment to a dryness at the low end of the range, leaving residual sugar resulting in a sweeter wine" I would suggest fermenting at 60 - 64 Deg F runs a little slower than at higher temps but much less foam and fewer fusels.

From - D47 with similar protocol for a half dozen 5 gallon batches ABV was between 14.6 and 15.2. (Pushed both just a bit past published tolerance.)

Back