black beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipabrewer23

Reaction score
Hello guys! First time poster here although this website has been my go to place to answer my questions. Yesterday I had a perfect brewday I made a beachin blonde ale by monsterbrew it was alot of fun and went very well. The only thing is that its black? I was hopeing for a clear yellow. I have noticed this on some of my extracts ( I have only brewed 4). they all start out looking black then change overtime is this normal if so why does it start so dark and how does it change. Also I purchased some white labs yeast from online and pitched it. It has been 24 hours with no signs of fermentation. Im not too worried I noticed liquid yeast take longer to start,im just concerned on the health of yeast it being shipped from texas (I live in kentucky). Any feedback would be appreciated thanks. Cheers!!

Here is a pic of the color the one next to it is a double ipa and was the same blackish color a couple days ago. The dirty lookin stuff is yeast energizer (had a few in me and spilled some haha).

1425431823981.jpg

I do not rember the name but it was just one type of grain but they where very light. After I steeped them it just looked like cloudy water

They could have sent you the wrong grains, you might have burnt some the extract, if you added it all to your boil from the start that will dark it some. Worse that happens is you end up with beer :mug:. I have a black IPA I need to bottle so you could dry hop it and call it and black IPA.

Back