Black Beer - Schwarzbier - Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
I just have to say that normally dark beers are not my favorite but in this case I made a dark beer that is really great. It's a Scwarzbier and in Germany they like it very much. I used Jamil Z's recipe and did not change it. When I brewed it the smell was out of this world and I could not wait until I could try it. At 1 month it tasted good but way too sweet and the chocolate was sharp. At 2.5 months it had mellowed a lot and I could see that there was a blending of the flavors. I could taste the grain, the chocolate was more mellow and coffee notes. Now it is 4 months and 5 days and it is sooooo smooth and so mellow and the flavors are well blended into almost 1 flavor like a coffee chocolate and not sweet at all but just the right touch of sweetness. It's like a lager with a bit more body. I say all this because I want to say that without aging this beer would never have this very refined taste that I wish I could send through the web to you to try. Keep aging and your beer will reward you.

Ref: http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4391

I made a Schwarzbier once, and my experience was much like yours. The longer it lagered the smoother it got.

Thanks for the info. I brewed up the same recipe a little over a month ago. I'll make sure to let it age for several more months.

Wow! A triple decoction. Man you got some patience.:)
I did a single decoction black lager back in December, and finished it all by mid-April.

I love schwartzbiers, but have yet to brew one. It is the most amazing flavor from such a dark beer, the exact opposite of what you would expect if you had never had one. I have tried several commercial examples, and really love the Weeping Radish version “Black Radish” and the Monchshof. I think BJCP lists the Sam Adams Black Lager as a style reference and I really did not care for it.

I actually really hope to brew this beer soon, but I am still working though a log of recipes I have been wanting to try.

As with most lagers, it needs to be stored around 37 degrees for a few months to really clear and clean them up and get all those wonder flavors married together! I have 5 gallons of schwarzbier sitting at home ageing right now!!!

Thanks for all the great replies. If you have the space to lager you can have several lagers aging all the time. It took a while for me to get a separate cooler so I could lager at lower temperatures but you only have to buy it once and can enjoy some wonderful beers that otherwise are out of reach. Some would say there is no difference between ales and lagers and it's not worth it but most of the time they never aged/lagered long enough to get to that point where it is really good beer. These beers also require absolute sanitary procedures to prevent any off tastes.

Back