BJCP Certification Exam Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the certifications like? I've been considering taking it but I'm so confused by the website. There's a guy I know that's been showing off his "certification" but as far as I can tell he's only passed the entry exam, whatever the hell that means.

What are the certifications like? I've been considering taking it but I'm so confused by the website. There's a guy I know that's been showing off his "certification" but as far as I can tell he's only passed the entry exam, whatever the hell that means.

Provisional judge: Passed the online entry exam. Only good for one year and required in order to take the tasting exam. Not an actual certification as far as I've been told.

Recognized judge: 60 or higher on tasting exam, no experience points (judging/stewarding)

Certified judge: 70 or higher on tasting exam, 5 experience points. This is what most people are actually aiming for when they want to become a "beer judge", and the highest rank that most BJCP members achieve.

National judge: 80 or higher on tasting exam, 20 experience points, pass written exam

Master judge: 90 or higher on tasting exam, 40 experience points, pass written exam

Honorary Master, Grand Master, Honorary Grand Master: All of the above plus either a lot more experience points or deep involvement within BJCP

Provisional judge: Passed the online entry exam. Only good for one year and required in order to take the tasting exam. Not an actual certification as far as I've been told.

Recognized judge: 60 or higher on tasting exam, no experience points (judging/stewarding)

Certified judge: 70 or higher on tasting exam, 5 experience points. This is what most people are actually aiming for when they want to become a "beer judge", and the highest rank that most BJCP members achieve.

National judge: 80 or higher on tasting exam, 20 experience points, pass written exam

Master judge: 90 or higher on tasting exam, 40 experience points, pass written exam

Honorary Master, Grand Master, Honorary Grand Master: All of the above plus either a lot more experience points or deep involvement within BJCP
How hard is the tasting exam? Similar to Cicerone? I imagine less focused on off-flavors and more on styles.

How hard is the tasting exam? Similar to Cicerone? I imagine less focused on off-flavors and more on styles.

I don't know anything about the cicerone exam, and I won't get my tasting exam results back for like 14 weeks. But basically you have 90 minutes to taste 6 beers and fill out 6 score sheets, then you're graded on the following:

• 20% scoring accuracy - how much your scores deviated from the proctors
  • 20% perception - noting flaws and errors
  • 20% descriptive ability - describing intensity and characteristics using the right terminology
  • 20% feedback - how to adjust the recipe or procedure to produce a beer closer to style
  • 20% completeness - organization, legibility, checking all the boxes

I don't know anything about the cicerone exam, and I won't get my tasting exam results back for like 14 weeks. But basically you have 90 minutes to taste 6 beers and fill out 6 score sheets, then you're graded on the following:

• 20% scoring accuracy - how much your scores deviated from the proctors
  • 20% perception - noting flaws and errors
  • 20% descriptive ability - describing intensity and characteristics using the right terminology
  • 20% feedback - how to adjust the recipe or procedure to produce a beer closer to style
  • 20% completeness - organization, legibility, checking all the boxes
Sounds interesting, I think I could give it a shot. Already took the online part, that was fairly straightforward.

Back