BJCP Tasting Exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nukebrewer - there are a few online courses where you get a syllabus of what beers to buy and then have webcast meetings once a week. One is advertised on the brewing network, though I forget what its called though. maybe someone else can remember for me

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know those existed. I'll do some research and see if I can find one.

Took the tasting exam yesterday. It confirmed a few things I already knew, mainly that my palate, and especially my nose, probably aren't cut out for being a very good judge. There just seem to be some things I don't perceive/taste very well.

But, I think I did pretty good. Haven't heard the actual scores from the proctors evaluations, but informal feedback suggests I was really close on three beers, close on two, but completely whiffed on one. I know that's only a small portion of the scoring, but it was still reassuring to score that close to National judges (especially when they get to reference the style guidelines!!)

It was fun and a good experience, and I'm hoping I passed, and hope to start getting some competitor judging experience as schedules allow. Especially because I think I'll learn a ton judging beers and being able to discuss them with a (or two) experienced judge.

The thing about the tasting exam is that isn't really the best representation of what your judging experience will really be like. At an actual competition you'll get to talk to your fellow judges and find out what they're perceiving. Some people are more sensitive to certain off-flavors than others. It's honestly going to make you an even better brewer; tasting the beers that place will give you an idea where you need to be on certain styles.

I have mine coming up in about 3 weeks...... Got lots of "study materials" in the fridge at home that I am still working my way through. It does seem like a helpful and educational process though. REally kind of makes you pay attention to many little details that are easy to overlook and forget about.

Back