biulding an electric system Help on heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10borderline11brew

Reaction score
Ok this isnt exacty a homebrew pot, but this is something i know yall can point me in the right direction. im biulding a bulk pasteurizer and need to figure out the way to heat it up. I have 20gallon barrel that i will fill up with water and i need it to stay at 180°F. In the barrel is 50ft of copper coil. I need to know what would be the best way of heating the barrel and keeping the temp at 180°F. i was thinking immersion heater with temp controller. i saw the blichmann boil coil and was wondering of there was other alternatives. my barrel is 16inches in diameter. should i have a false bottom in the barrel as well?
thanks for the help

awesome thanks. where should i get the coil from? it doesn't matter if its not stainless steel, cause it wont be touching any of the juice. what size of immersion heater should i get?
thanks

sorry i being a little vague. when i said coil i meant the immersion heater. So where would be a good place to the immersion heater from? what size of should i get? (i was thinkin of 240v 5500kw) What type of thermostat should i get? I would like to stay as cheap a possible. here is what i thought about for getting:
immserion heater: https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1902.htm

thermostat:http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Temperature-Control-120-240V/dp/B003C2M4HK

Does this look like a good way to do it?
I tried put picture up but they weren't uploading. pretty much its a 20 gallon barrel with a copper coil. the juice flows through the coil, and the coil is submerged in 180° water.

thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
The Johnson controller you linked to won't handle the amperage of a 5500w element. Check out Auber Instruments. You'll need some type of PID(or similar) and the corresponding SSR to control the element. You could also go the potemtiometer/SSVR route more cheaply. There are also plenty of vendors out there that build control panels for sale.

The Johnson controller you linked to won't handle the amperage of a 5500w element. Check out Auber Instruments. You'll need some type of PID(or similar) and the corresponding SSR to control the element. You could also go the potemtiometer/SSVR route more cheaply. There are also plenty of vendors out there that build control panels for sale.

Potentiometer/SSVR combo is not suitable for holding a tight temperature. It is more suited to controlling boil vigor.

A simple solution is an SSR controlled by an Auber DSPR110. It has both a temperature hold function (that is easier to tune than a traditional PID controller), a boil power controller, and a built in timer. Lots of flexibility if your needs change. Here's a very simple schematic for using the DSPR110 with a 5500W element.

Minimal DSPR110 240V only.jpg

Brew on :mug:

Back