Bittersweet Blonde IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matpat

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an IPA but since Simcoe and Amarillo are getting harder to find I thought I would try and use some easier to find hops that we like. Since we both like Centennial and Cascade hops, I based my recipe off of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe making it a bit stronger and hoppier than the original.

Bittersweet Blonde IPA

10lbs 2 row Pale Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Crystal 10

1oz Centennial 60 min
1oz Cascade 45 min
1oz Centennial 15min
1oz Cascade 5 min
0.5oz Centennial dry hop
0.5oz Cascade dry hop

According to BeerSmith, this should give me an OG of about 1.064 and 60 IBUs. I plan to mash at 154 for 60 minutes.

Anyone see any problems with this recipe or have any advice/recommendations?

You should move the 45 minute add of Cascade. I might move it to 10. If you need the IBUs, move half to 60 and half to 10. I personally wouldn't mash at 154 either. I would shoot for something lower. 150-152. The grain bill is just fine...in fact it looks really good.

This sounds Really good. Can any of the more experienced guys help me out/point me in the right direction of how to convert this to an extract brew?

You should move the 45 minute add of Cascade. I might move it to 10. If you need the IBUs, move half to 60 and half to 10. I personally wouldn't mash at 154 either. I would shoot for something lower. 150-152. The grain bill is just fine...in fact it looks really good.

I reviewed the original recipe from BierMuncher and realized I transposed one of the Centennial and Cascade additions. In keeping with the original recipe, I'll bitter this with an ounce of Centennial at 60 and 45 then add an ounce of Cascade at 10 and 5.

I wanted this to have a bit more malty profile but I think the increased grains and the addition of the Munich will handle that so I will take your advice and mash a bit lower.

This sounds Really good. Can any of the more experienced guys help me out/point me in the right direction of how to convert this to an extract brew?

Substituting 8lbs of Pale Malt Extract, 1 lb of Munich extract then removing the Vienna (since it needs to be mashed) will get you pretty close. Steep the Crystal 10 using your preferred method.

Using Pale LME makes the color jump from 6.2 to 9.5 but it should still come out in the color range for the style. If you want it to be lighter in color try subbing Golden Light LME for the Pale LME to drop the color into the 6.5 range. Not sure of the effect (if any) this will have on the flavor.

It will probably be another week before I can brew this so if you "git er done" before me let me know how it turns out :D

Back