Bitterness need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slant7541

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of doggy style ale clone last month. It is kegged, carbonated and refrigerated. This is bitter as hell. I have been waiting for it to die down is there anything i can do to this batch to cut bitterness now? Like adding malt or maltodextrin?

Are you sure it's hop bitterness and not some astringent off flavors? This can sometimes be misconstrued as hop bitterness and can come from over-milling your grains, over sparging, steeping grain at too high of a temp, high pH or too much hot break trub in the fermentor. If it's a clone kit and you followed the recipe I'm not sure why the hop bitterness would be totally overpowering which is why I ask.

Are you sure it's hop bitterness and not some astringent off flavors? This can sometimes be misconstrued as hop bitterness and can come from over-milling your grains, over sparging, steeping grain at too high of a temp, high pH or too much hot break trub in the fermentor. If it's a clone kit and you followed the recipe I'm not sure why the hop bitterness would be totally overpowering which is why I ask.

The recipe i got from a book and i bet the home brew store subbed items he didn't carry. I cut the hops in half and its a safe bet any of the scenarios you listed are possible. I'm a noob so i dont know how to fix it. I really dont want to throw out the batch, the flavor is good, the bitterness is like an after taste kind of thing.

Can you give us the hop bill, and more importantly the recipe?

4oz american crystal malt
4lb pale malt syrup
6lb extra light dme
4oz maltodextrin (i only used a 1/4 cup not 4oz wieght)
1oz cascade
boil
add water
boil 45 min
add
1/2 oz cascade
3/4oz centenial
1tsp irish moss
boil 13 min
1oz cascade (skipped)
cool to 70 degrees
add irish ale yeast