Bittering with Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA recipe that used Magnum hops for bittering, and Centennial and Cascade hops for flavor/aroma. However, I want to experiment a little bit with the recipe. I was considering bittering with Centennial. What flavors would this impart on the beer? Does anyone else have any experience doing this? And what are some good commercial examples that use Centennial as a bittering hop? Thank you for any feedback!

I've never had Bell's, but I've brewed my own all-centennial and it turned out great. I really like centennials, sort like a high AA cascade.

Since the bittering hops are boiled for 60 minutes, you get very little flavor from them that is specific to centennial or magnum. There may be some, but the majority of the hops flavor comes from the late additions, those added at 20 minutes or less left in the boil.

I don't think you'll notice much difference in subbing magnum for bittering vs. centennial for bittering in that recipe.

Centennial is awesome! You might WANT it at your flavoring/aroma addition rather than the bittering just so you can taste it, as it has a wonderful floral aroma and flavor, and Magnum will do a fine job of bittering.

I have tried a recipe that used Cascade for flavor and Magnum at 0min(don't know what he used for bittering but that doesn't really matter)...it was very tasty! I don't think you can go wrong.

Since the bittering hops are boiled for 60 minutes, you get very little flavor from them that is specific to centennial or magnum. There may be some, but the majority of the hops flavor comes from the late additions, those added at 20 minutes or less left in the boil.

I don't think you'll notice much difference in subbing magnum for bittering vs. centennial for bittering in that recipe.

Took the words right out of my mouth. For bittering, stick with the most economical options (high alpha, small amount). The bittering addition, as Yooper says, really doesn't do much besides bitter the beer. Pretty much all of the aromatics and flavor are boiled off. Save your quality aromatic hops for the last additions. Of course, bittering with Centennial won't hurt a thing. You could even bitter with 3% Saaz and have to use a lot of it, but that wouldn't make much sense. Probably couldn't really taste the difference in flavor though, especially in an IPA with so much flavor coming from the late additions.

Back