Bitter / Weird Hoppy Flavor PRE-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBoyKnight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My brew buddy and I recently brewed a "Blackberry Wheat Ale" that we have done before and, after following the recipe with no real hiccups, we took a gravity reading and proceeded to try the beer used in the hydrometer cylinder. When we tried the beer, it had a very pronounced bitter / sorta kinda hoppy flavor which I do not remember the first time we brewed this recipe.

I am afraid it may have been from over-steeping the grains combine with our new / different local water profile (moved from VT to MN since we brewed the recipe last).

Grains:
8 oz Torrified Wheat
8 oz RAHR White Wheat
12 oz Caramalt 10L

Steeped in 2 gallons of water for 60 minutes at 160 (fell to 145 over the hour)
as per recipe. Recipe was written by the LHBS in VT.

After the steep:
3 lbs Muntons Plain Wheat DME
2 lbs Clover Honey
1 oz German Hersbrucker Hops - boiled for 60 mins
1 oz Mt Hood Hops - boiled for 20 minutes
1 satchet Safale US-05 yeast

Blackberry essence added to bottle bucket when bottling.

Hops strained out with funnel screen when pouring into fermenter (which is why the weird hoppy flavor was even weirder (this is the first time we used the strainer = first time we used musin bags for hops))

We're gonna see it through to bottling (and most likely all the way to drink-day) but I am just worried that the batch may not be the same as before.

Thanx in advance for the thoughts/advice.

In other news, I don't know how this thread ended up in the DIY section. Does anyone know how to move it to the General Discussion area?

Latest posts

Back