Bitter oranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gluepot

seacrust
Reaction score
For anybody in Texas in the DFW area, the central market in Fort Worth is carrying fresh Seville oranges (AKA bitter orange, sour orange). The oranges are labeled as Seville oranges and cost about 1.70/lb. I'm excited to make a Witbier with fresh bitter orange as suggested in Radical Brewing. Or maybe even a Seville porter, hmmm. These oranges are very hard to find fresh, and smell amazing.

Happy Brewing!

Aye.. My local farmers market gets the bitter oranges in during the summer. They're very popular with folks from Latin America. You can use the rinds for brewing, and the juice to make a nice mojo marinade for chicken or fish.

The juice is also good to make your own sour mix for cocktails. I made some damn fine sour mix using bitter orange juice, some lemons, and some limes. I lucked into some oranges I zested them, froze the zest, and drank bourbon sours for a bit.

Back