biscuit malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
I was looking at a recipe from Northern Brewer, it was an extract recipe and it required a small amount of biscuit malt ( to be steeped).
Looking at this malt online it states that it has to be mashed.
So, if it is steeped, will it have no affect? Or just impart colour and no flavour? or both?

Dan

The main difference between steeping and mashing is whether or not you're looking for conversion, in which case determines whether you need a base malt. Some say biscuit can convert on its own but I don't know for sure. Either way, if the recipe says to steep it just steep it. As you guessed it will still impart color and flavor. When you decide to make the move to all grain you'll see just how ridiculously easy it is especially if you're doing extract with steeping grains already. I'd say all grain is actually easier. Just throwing that out there ;)

Rev.

The main difference between steeping and mashing is whether or not you're looking for conversion, in which case determines whether you need a base malt. Some say biscuit can convert on its own but I don't know for sure. Either way, if the recipe says to steep it just steep it. As you guessed it will still impart color and flavor. When you decide to make the move to all grain you'll see just how ridiculously easy it is especially if you're doing extract with steeping grains already. I'd say all grain is actually easier. Just throwing that out there ;)

Rev.

Thanks
I was wondering about the conversion part, I have been AG brewing for a while now and this particular recipe that i used it in was not the Northern brewer one but just curious to the affect it would have if NOT mashing.
I used it recently in a beer, only 1/4#, and was surprised at the colour it contributed, not so much flavour tho.

Back