Bird poop in beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I was thinking this morning looking out on my deck that it sure would be nice to have some feeders just off the deck for my kids to watch birds / squirrels. But then I got to thinking, what if I get all these bird flying about and it increases the risk of poop landing in the boil?! Has anyone had that happen to them?

Unless it's at or after flameout, there's really no reason to be concerned about that small amount of birdsh*t.

Occasional, incidental, pre-flameout exposure probably wouldn't be a problem, but I still wouldn't want avian feces in my beer.

The trouble is you get the whole food chain as picky birds drop seeds they don't like...everywhere...
Think rats and mice...The hawks are entertaining...
I ended up running a large funnel under the feeder that went to a container that caught the overflow...

I was going to use a tube style feeder with "only" black sunflower so there wont be so much kicked out and on the ground below. I was also going to put it on the lower tier of the deck so the birds weren't right up on the tables and me brewing. But with such a large open container that stays open for a long period I figured someone would of had bird **** in their beer. Although if it does happen you got about a 1/2 second time frame to notice as the boiling wort with pull it in like a dingy on the rough seas!

:drunk:

I brew under my car port and a robin has a nest under it.
It was constantly flying back and forth over my boil kettle last brew session.
I had the same thought.

I brew under my car port and a robin has a nest under it.
It was constantly flying back and forth over my boil kettle last brew session.
I had the same thought.

"Robin's Lager"? People will this Robin brewed it.

How does it taste?

I was thinking this morning looking out on my deck that it sure would be nice to have some feeders just off the deck for my kids to watch birds / squirrels. But then I got to thinking, what if I get all these bird flying about and it increases the risk of poop landing in the boil?! Has anyone had that happen to them?

Simple, Build a ROOF on your Deck then you can put a feeder in the yard with no worries about bird **** beer.

Back