Biofine Clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHoots

Reaction score
Just looking for thoughts and opinions on Biofine Clear.

So I've only used it once and I'll say that I will not be buying it again. The instructions say to use anywhere from 3 mL to 31 mL per 5 gallons. I used it in 15 gallons so I started out with 10 mL, then did another 30 mL, and then ended up going 50 mL. In the end, I had to use essentially the max dosage - 90 mL. Don't get me wrong, it worked, but compared to gelatin which is much cheaper and almost always works for me on the first time, I'd rather spend $0.75 to clear my beer as opposed to $9.

I will say, the one nice thing about biofine, is there's no preparing the mixture. It's ready to add as soon as you buy it. That was pretty nice to be honest. But not nice enough to spend the money on it.

I had a similar experience, used 10 mL on a 5 gallon batch and didn't see any difference, like I didn't use anything. Went back to gelatin and it just works.

I use Silafine occasionally, which is the same formulation. I'm underwhelmed. It works, takes longer, and often requires two doses (just my experience). Gelatin is much more effective.

One advantage though, is that is can drop the yeast while in the fermenter at room temp. For some beers I've taken to adding this a few days before I dry hop. Then use gelatin in the keg.

I've used it in a dose of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons with success, but in conjunction with a floating dip tube. If you're not using a floating dip tube and want clear beer fast, I'm not sure what to tell you. Floating dip tubes are the way to go.

I've used it in a dose of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons with success, but in conjunction with a floating dip tube. If you're not using a floating dip tube and want clear beer fast, I'm not sure what to tell you. Floating dip tubes are the way to go.
You don't NEED a floating dip tube for clear beer. Before I started fining in the unitank, I would add gelatin through the gas post on the keg. My dip tubes are all standard. Wait a day, dump the first half glass or so of beer and you're good to go.

You don't NEED a floating dip tube for clear beer. Before I started fining in the unitank, I would add gelatin through the gas post on the keg. My dip tubes are all standard. Wait a day, dump the first half glass or so of beer and you're good to go.
True, but then you have to use gelatin, which STINKS. I can't reconcile with adding that to my beer I guess.

Can I ask the reason? I realize that the reason could be personal so if that's the case, just tell me to p*ss off, lol.
No, I mean gelatin literally smells bad. I've used it a number of times and finally had to stop just because I couldn't stand putting something that smelled that bad in my beer. Plus the origin of it isn't too appealing either.

Latest posts

Back