Mixing cold side finings with Trifecta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
Hoping @mabrungard or someone else with chemistry chops can chime in here-

Is there a problem with combining my finings (biofine clear) with any preservatives like SMB/PMB or ascorbic or even brewtan/gallotanans?
My plan is to put them together in a small purged container and shoot them into keg that’s under pressure before crashing and fining.
Just wanna make sure they aren’t reacting and depleting or counteracting each other or whatnot.

Last edited:
I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember the source) that stated you should add the LODO boil additives first, then wait several minutes before adding finings. I think the idea was to give the LODO additives time to mix before the finings could precipitate them out.

I usually add Brewtan B at about 15 minutes remaining in the boil, then drop in a Whirlfloc at about 10.

My plan is to put them together in a small purged container and shoot them into keg that’s under pressure before crashing and fining.

thought it was pretty clear here that we're talking about cold side. not hot side. has nothing to do with whirlfloc.

biofine clear aka colloidal silicic acid

Back