Bines per rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
What have you guys' rhizomes look like? The ones I got (Midwest pre-order) were pretty puny and most of mine had just one or two "sprouts," they were about two inches long on some and barely coming off the rhizome on others. Will other shoots/bines develop off the rhizomes once they're in the ground, or is that it? I was debating on whether or not to trim back to three bines per rhizome or hang more lines, but maybe I won't have that problem after all.

Let them grow the way they are until there about 10-12'' long and then train 2 bines clockwise. This way you can choose which bines are the healthiest. Then trim the other back.

so basically figure out which two are going to be the dominant and let them grow? 2 bines per line, so could you do 4 bines total?

Unless you get the Jumbo varieties they are all sort of puny looking. ABout the diameter of a fat finger at best. The jumbo varieties actually come as nodes.

Sometimes you can force more shootlet growth off the new rhisome by placing them in a dark, warm closet but it really is better to get them in the ground as soon as you can because they will start to deplete stores and need to replace those nutrients.

There are, at the least, two main schools of thought on bine selection.

The first - Clip off all bine growth until a few weeks after the last frost. Then let them all grow until they about a foot long and choose the fattest, healthiest, longest bines for training and trim the rest.

The second - Trim nothing until they are all a foot or two and then choose the fattest, healthiest, longest and train them.

The former is intended to force th plant to produce better bines while the latter promotes a smaller time frame to allowing the plant to start photosynthesis.

GilaMinumBeer said:
ABout the diameter of a fat finger at best.

I'd be happy with pinky thick. The ones I got are 1/8 thick at best. I wonder if the demand sky-rocketed because of the shortage and they just shipped every little bit they could dig up. We'll see I guess. *sigh* I'm really wishing I got the jumbos, probably one of those RDWHAHB things though.

Back