bigger bottle take more time to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
Is it possible bigger bottle take more time to carbonate? I opened a small one it carbonated really good and my bigger bottle not so much so Im wondering if its the fact that is a bigger bottle or it just happened like that.

Not usually. How much yeast is left can be an issue, as well as their ability to survive in higher alcohol levels. As to size. No.

I dunno... you'd think, milliliter for milliliter, there is the same amount of yeast & sugars in it all. Why would it take longer, just due to volume?
I don't bottle but I'd think the liquid volume would take longer to dissolve the CO2 being generated by the yeast.
It certainly takes me longer to carb a 5 gal keg vs. a 3 gal @ the same PSI.

I don't bottle but I'd think the liquid volume would take longer to dissolve the CO2 being generated by the yeast.
It certainly takes me longer to carb a 5 gal keg vs. a 3 gal @ the same PSI.

That's because in a keg the all of the CO2 is entering through the surface of the liquid and must diffuse into the beer from top to bottom and there's nearly double the amount of liquid to carbonate through the same surface area.

In the case of bottle carbonation the CO2 is being generated evenly throughout the liquid and being dissolved as it generated. It's not the same situation as force carbing a keg.

That's because in a keg the all of the CO2 is entering through the surface of the liquid and must diffuse into the beer from top to bottom and there's nearly double the amount of liquid to carbonate through the same surface area.

In the case of bottle carbonation the CO2 is being generated evenly throughout the liquid and being dissolved as it generated. It's not the same situation as force carbing a keg.

To this point, i would think that a 22 oz bomber should carb faster than a 12 oz bottle.
With the head space being about the same in each but 83% more solution to produce CO2, it would seem to me that it should get pressurized and forcing CO2 into the solution sooner. I would believe that would lead to more bombers being over carbed as well if we don't adjust the sugar correctly.
This all being said, i rarely bottle, and have only done a few bombers, so my personal expertise is llimited.

I have capped a few bombers, never had a problem, and I essentially doubled the priming sugar I'd use for a 12-oz bottle. That's over-priming a little, and again, never had a problem.

FWIW, I often mix bottle my batches with 750ml swing tops and 355ml capped. It has always seemed to me that the 750ml bottles are better carbed sooner.

N=1, YMMV.

priming sugar

OK. Just wanted to get that variable out of the way.

I agree with those who say that there should be no/very little difference in carbonation time between smaller and bigger bottles if priming sugar solution is used. In your case, it could simply be that the sugar wasn't evenly distributed through the beer, thus some bottles got more sugar than others. The other possibility is that the cap wasn't secured as tightly, therefore you're losing some pressure through the lightly capped top.

I've wondered this myself. I've got a batch of beer that is mostly bottled in standard stubby bottles with crimp-on caps, and when I ran out of those I started using PET bottles with screw-on caps. The PET bottles are about 200ml bigger in capacity. There have been two instances now where I have had one of each back-to-back and there was a notable reduction in carbonation in the larger PET bottled beer.

I realize there is an additional variable at play (the style of cap) but those PET bottles were brand new, picked up from the LHBS that day, the caps were tight, and I've never noticed that problem before in using them.

Back