big scottish ale label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionicbrew

Reaction score
ok, my next attempt at a label and second time using photoshop. still lost, but getting better. comments/suggestions? I couldn't get the brewery logo to show the pattern through the white. it kept putting it in the monk only. i even tried inverting the colors with same results.:confused:
oh, the name comes from the Land Cruiser series FZJ80. that's a friend's LC in the pic.

FZJ-80_Shilling.jpg

I'd ditch the semi-script font and go with something a bit more bold.

As far as the logo, select the layer that the image is on and choose your Magic Wand tool. Use it to select the white outside of the logo's ovular shape and delete it. That will give you the legibility of the full logo without having the 'pasted-on' look it has now.

And, if I'm gonna be nit-picky, I'd set your 'flavor text' alignment to middle instead of the left as it is now.

Good job not using the stock filters in Photoshop. They can be fun to play around with, but usually end up with an image that screams 'n00b.' My first few 'Shop projects looked awful because I thought I was being experimental or something, hah.

I'd ditch the semi-script font and go with something a bit more bold.

As far as the logo, select the layer that the image is on and choose your Magic Wand tool. Use it to select the white outside of the logo's ovular shape and delete it. That will give you the legibility of the full logo without having the 'pasted-on' look it has now.
And, if I'm gonna be nit-picky, I'd set your 'flavor text' alignment to middle instead of the left as it is now.
Good job not using the stock filters in Photoshop. They can be fun to play around with, but usually end up with an image that screams 'n00b.' My first few 'Shop projects looked awful because I thought I was being experimental or something, hah.

that's very helpful, thanks! and at photoshop and labels I am a n00b. I don't even know how to put filters and edges on it.

I like the font eventhough it's a bit harder to read over the pattern. I was trying to make it a little more Scottish, because the picture is not, as jschaf pointed out.
hillbilly.gif

scottish ales are becoming my favorite brews, though I haven't made any yet. I'm shootin for one my next batch. Do you mind sharin your recipe?

...Do you mind sharin your recipe?

don't mind at all! the one i've used several times that is a great 80 shilling:

2oz. peated malt
6oz. carapils
5oz. toasted barley
5oz. 60*L Crystal
steeped at 165* for 30 mins

6.5lbs. amber extract syrup
1.5lbs. light DME
2oz. fuggles hops(in boil 1 hr)
1tsp irish moss
Wyeast Irish ale #1084

this is for a 3.5-4 gallon boil.

the recipe for this label is new, not tested/all grain. (i only have 1 AG under my belt).

11lb. 2 row
8oz. munich
8oz. 40*L crystal
5oz.Belgian Caramunich
3oz. roasted barley
3oz peated malt
1.5 oz. Spalt hops 4%AA(what i have on hand)
1tsp irish moss
Wyeast Northwest Ale #1332
boil 6.5 down to 5.5 gallons.

thanks man. I haven't been able to try any 60/ -70/ just scotch ales and one 80/. I like the heavier stuff myself. These and porters are my favorites right now, thanks again.

Back