Big question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
Happy New Year,

I have been asked to brew for a small cancer benefit--in the past I have donated money to the cause, this year I told them I would brew 10 cases of beer for them (5 or so batches).

I initially thought I would use 4-5 party pigs and then do some bottling, but I'm just not liking either one of those plans. I have not done any kegging at all, so I'm completely green. I'm thinking some corny kegs may be the solution--any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all advice!
Thanks

I would first suggest that you check with your state alcohol regulatory folks to make sure that's legit to do. Each state is different and some won't allow you to give away home brew at an event where admission is charged (even for charity). If it's not OK, they can show up, seize your beer/equipment and cite you.

For gear, you'll at least need kegs, CO2 tank, reg, couplings, hoses, a way to keep the beer cold and whatever taps you decide to use. You'll have to chill and carb the beer ahead of time, of course.

You may want to get pretty familiar with kegging, pressures, temps, dispensing, etc. before jumping off into this bold of an adventure. :D

All legal issues aside.

You might have a bunch of unhappy beer drinkers if they open a bottle of homebrew and pour it out, or drink from the bottle like they are used to doing with a typical store bought beer.:( Doesn't bother me too much but most people I know do not know how to pour a bottle of homebrew.

bosco

I would first suggest that you check with your state alcohol regulatory folks to make sure that's legit to do. Each state is different and some won't allow you to give away home brew at an event where admission is charged (even for charity). If it's not OK, they can show up, seize your beer/equipment and cite you.

For gear, you'll at least need kegs, CO2 tank, reg, couplings, hoses, a way to keep the beer cold and whatever taps you decide to use. You'll have to chill and carb the beer ahead of time, of course.

You may want to get pretty familiar with kegging, pressures, temps, dispensing, etc. before jumping off into this bold of an adventure. :D

It is nothing like that…it is a huge backyard party for people who do a run for cancer. In the past I have donated to the cause, this time I said I'll donate the ale.

It is nothing like that…it is a huge backyard party for people who do a run for cancer. In the past I have donated to the cause, this time I said I'll donate the ale.

Good luck... Great cause.

If you go with bottles get a load of red cups and do the pouring for them or teach a few helpers how to avoid a cup or mouthful of yeast.. LOL

bosco

Back