Big Problem (I guess)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve99

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first batch. I started the first fermentation last Tuesday on a Munton American Light Ale and my hydrometer showed 1.32.

Now (Sunday) just made a test with the hydrometer and it shows 1.50.

What's my problem please ?

I don't think a temperature difference would account for that kind of a jump, did you aerate/shake the carboy/bucket after adding top off water but before taking your first sample? The less dense water will rise to the top and give you an off reading, fermentation will mix it up and "homogenize" the beer. Still, 1.050 is really high for almost a week in primary. Did you get a good krausen or other signs of fermentation?

At 1.5 I'd say the problem is you don't know how to read your hydrometer properly. It's probably 1.050.;)

As far as the previous comment on the temp, that's important also. Whenever you take a gravity reading you should also take a temp reading (with the same sample...do the temp first).

You can read your gage at 60F without making any corrections to account for the temp. Any temp above 60F adjusts your gravity upwards. For instance, if your reading is 1.020 and the temp is 77F then you have to add +2, (actually .002) to your reading making it 1.022. Got it!:D

Carne de Perro said:
I don't think a temperature difference would account for that kind of a jump, did you aerate/shake the carboy/bucket after adding top off water but before taking your first sample? The less dense water will rise to the top and give you an off reading, fermentation will mix it up and "homogenize" the beer. Still, 1.050 is really high for almost a week in primary. Did you get a good krausen or other signs of fermentation?

I had the same problem (look to any of the million low O.G. threads) and fermentation straightened that out for me.

I didn't shake it before my test 30 minutes ago. Do I have to shake it before doing the test ?

No signs of fermentation since I don't have an airlock of the primary bucket.

No you don't have to shake it for every test, and if you did you would ruin your beer. You should just make sure that you mix the wort and water before your initial test.

Please help. Do I need to add water when doing the test ? I'm confused now. All I did wan to open the lid of the fermenter and put the sanitize hydrometer in the bucket and it's reads 1.050.

What should i do now ? Please.

Steve99 said:
I didn't shake it before my test 30 minutes ago. Do I have to shake it before doing the test ?

No signs of fermentation since I don't have an airlock of the primary bucket.

Wait, you don't have an airlock on your bucket? How is the CO2 escaping? If you just slammed a lid on the bucket a week ago with no way for CO2 to escape it should have flown off by now. When you did your check, did the beer show any signs of carbonation? It might be that your yeast was bad.

Re-reading your post I have deteremined:

1) You did not make a starter.

2) Your yeast was no good.

3) You initial reading of 1.032 and subsequent reading of 1.050 indicates that you did not stir your wort/water to bring the entire batch to one temperature.

Conclusion: Pitch new yeast, but make a starter first...or drizzle some dry yeast on top NOW!!!

Also, you don't want to just drop the hydrometer into the fermenter and get a reading that way. How can you read it? You want to get some out and put it in the tube that the hydrometer came in and get your reading that way.

Have you looked at www.howtobrew.com or some other resource? If not, it's strongly recommended. It will answer a lot of your questions and the whole process will make a lot more sense.

Back