Big OG stout still fermenting in 2nd w/wlp001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstowe81

Reaction score
I have a stout that started fermenting again when I racked to a secondary. Nothing new, right? Except it's still off gassing 4 weeks later. Afraid to bottle.. What do you guys think?

Ohh and it's been sitting on the dry hops that long too.... Fml

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only way to know whether it's safe to bottle is to be sure gravity is stable over a few days.

Bubbling after transferring doesn't necessarily mean it's still fermenting. As Zymurgist said, start checking the gravity.

take a gravity reading. the gassing could be lingering CO2. If it's around 1.01 +/- you should be good. However, with a big beer you have to prep the yeast, e.g., O2 aeration, nutrients, and a big starter. You can check the amount of yeast needed using Mrmalty.com yeast calculator. My guess is that you didn't use enough yeast and the few that are there are stressed trying to do a job bigger than they are capable.

Just a couple thoughts, hope it clears out,

Not huge. It was 1.080 og. I racked at 1.023. To be honest I haven't taken a gravity reading because I kept seeing a baby krausen and activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back