"Big Mouth Bubbler" Review (w/photos)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
So I am now the proud owner of both a 5 & 6.5 gallon "Big Mouth Bubbler", great idea and many seem to be wondering what took so long. I have used the 5 gallon and am now debating whether or not to use the 6.5 gallon tomorrow for a big IPA (1.080 target), which will need a blow-off.

Random thoughts:

• I have used the 5 gallon for secondary and was able to get 4oz of whole leaf hops up in there.
  • Great, great idea for dry hopping with whole leaf.
  • Cap is screw on, with a well built in that you fill with sanitizer, and pop the cup-like cap on upside down.
  • Not sure the 6.5 gallon is the best design for a blow-off (And I could be very wrong on this.)
  • Would you rather go with a carboy cap?
  • It would be perfect if the screw cap just had a direct hose/airlock connection as a blow off. You still have to use a bung.

Final thought: I think the BBB may be much better for secondary/dry hopping than it is for primary. The screw on cap is great, but it doesn't address the blow off tube issue...Not a huge deal. Ability to clean it with your hands is huge.

Bubbler1.jpg

Bubbler2.jpg

photo(3).JPG

photo(2).JPG

Thanks for the pics and review! That really is nice that it can fit so much for dry hopping and that lid definitely seems nice from those pictures

Like a lot of members commenting on this product across various threads I love the idea of it. For me it's more about the ease of dry hoping and sampling. My big question is what are the options for transferring? I currently use a carboy cap with a stainless steel siphon tube. I attach a short tube from my co2 tank to the other outlet on the cap, open the valve for a second to give a quick oxygen free burst and then disconnect right away. Any way you think one could use a similar technique or is an auto siphon the only way to go with these? How about the use of a thermowell?

Like a lot of members commenting on this product across various threads I love the idea of it. For me it's more about the ease of dry hoping and sampling. My big question is what are the options for transferring? I currently use a carboy cap with a stainless steel siphon tube. I attach a short tube from my co2 tank to the other outlet on the cap, open the valve for a second to give a quick oxygen free burst and then disconnect right away. Any way you think one could use a similar technique or is an auto siphon the only way to go with these? How about the use of a thermowell?

I haven't tried mine out yet, but I've got a stopper with two holes that can accept both a thermowell and airlock that I want to try with it (might need to get a different sized stopper from the one I have though). Not sure how far down the thermowell will stick, but hopefully far enough. If it worked, I don't see why you couldn't use another two-hole stopper for transferring, one with a long racking cane for the liquid, and one with a small hole for CO2.

I haven't tried mine out yet, but I've got a stopper with two holes that can accept both a thermowell and airlock that I want to try with it (might need to get a different sized stopper from the one I have though). Not sure how far down the thermowell will stick, but hopefully far enough. If it worked, I don't see why you couldn't use another two-hole stopper for transferring, one with a long racking cane for the liquid, and one with a small hole for CO2.

Let us know how it goes and what size stopper you use. If this can take a stopper to accommodate both a thermowell and airlock (or transfer tube and CO2 input) I'll probably pick a couple up.

I am hoping that I can fit one these 5 gallon Big Mouths into my chest freezer (5 cu. ft) along with my 6 gallon carboy so I can ferment 2 batches of beer at a time. I have just over 17 inches of space above the compressor, and I read that the 5 gallon Big Mouth is only 16 inches tall with the lid on. The only thing I am worried about is an airlock.. But I am pretty sure I can get it to fit using a blow-off tube or by filling the lid with sanitizer (like you did). Think I am gonna order one and hope it fits! :)

Thanks for posting the pictures and info!

I've got a batch in 6.5 gal now. Airlock fits nice with a bung in the lid. I didn't realize you could use that plastic cup like that. Might give it a try. I have a 1" blow off tube that I think might fit. I'll check it out later when I get home.

I have the 6.5 gal and used it to ferment a cream ale that I kegged last weekend. The built in air lock worked just fine.

I am very pleased with it. The clean up was very simple.

One thing that I recommend, calibrate your liquid volumes on your own because the bubbler does not have any markings on it. I poured one gallon at a time, then marked each line on a vertical piece of tape. It doesnt look the best, but, it'll serve it's purpose. Down the road I plan to buy a glass etching solution and will etch these lines into the outside of the bubbler.

I was looking at the 5 gallon one, but couldn't find any dimensions. Do you think you could measure the heights and diameters and let us know? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind I found it on the Northern Brewer website.

I have the 6.5 gal and used it to ferment a cream ale that I kegged last weekend. The built in air lock worked just fine.

I am very pleased with it. The clean up was very simple.

One thing that I recommend, calibrate your liquid volumes on your own because the bubbler does not have any markings on it. I poured one gallon at a time, then marked each line on a vertical piece of tape. It doesnt look the best, but, it'll serve it's purpose. Down the road I plan to buy a glass etching solution and will etch these lines into the outside of the bubbler.

I keep trying to talk myself into picking up one of these, or even two, but the shipping turns me off every time.

I wonder why they wouldn't/couldn't design the structure lines at exactly 1 gallon marks. That would make life easy. Maybe they didn't want to piss off the people across the pond who measure in metric.

On another note, have you tried the vinyl decals at brew hardware to calibrate the Bubbler?

i did happen to stumble upon the calibration numbers yesterday, but, have not pulled the trigger on them yet. i imagine i can pick up some mailbox numbers and arrows locally for around the same price. i'll post an update if i change anything.

I wonder why they wouldn't/couldn't design the structure lines at exactly 1 gallon marks. That would make life easy. Maybe they didn't want to piss off the people across the pond who measure in metric.

And the ones that measure in gallons. UK gallons are 25% bigger than US gallons. ;)

I really like mine and highly recommend it. This is the second batch I have done and the cleanup is very fast and simple. There is over six gallons of beer in primary in this photo. The blow-off works with an airlock, but id like to find a hose that fits in the stopper hole snug. Everything else if very solid about this product though!

photo (5).jpg

Great thought! Could probably drill a hole and utilize the seal used in the lids of plastic buckets to make it airtight. I think I'm going to pick one up and give it a shot. :mug:

Do yourself a favor and dont try to just make the hole big enough for the thermowell. For some reason i tried this on my bucket lids and it never worked, i tried jbwelding around and it held but with a 16" thermowell dangling around there was no way to put the lid down anywhere such that it wouldnt use the thermowell as a lever and just pop the jbweld off...it just never really worked.

Then i went to my LHBS and he was like..why dont you just drill another hole for a stopper and stick your thermowell through that?

I felt like an idiot, my 3/8ths thermowell fits perfectly snug inside any standard drilled stopper..so i just bought a new lid and drilled a hole big enough to fit a standard stopper.

The benefit of this is that my thermowell can be in the middle, and i can drill another hole off to the side for the airlock.

For those of you that have one of these, are you changing the gasket every time? If not, are you taking the gasket out when you clean up the carboy/lid? I'm struggling getting it out of the lid without marking it up. That got me thinking as to whether it just made sense to change it out every time to prevent against infection. The fact that it's foam makes me wonder how much "stuff" clings to it that I can't get off.

I have no trouble removing the gasket. It usually lifts out enough to grab it when I put a good spray of water into the lid. I've also lifted it out with a plastic fork. Then I let it air dry until the next use when I spray it with sanitizer.

I guess I didnt take it out the first couple times I used it, but I also didnt have krassuen come in contact with it. I will need to do that after I bottle this saison though. I usually just clean the lid/gasket together and sanitize before using again.

Fin what is the thermometer in your lid? How is that attached to measure the temp of the brew?

Its just an analog thermometer. Its just resting on top to make sure it wasnt getting too hot in there. I have a cold basement and single stage temp control, so I have a space heater a fridge. I was making sure it was overheating and was also checking the accuracy of the temp control probe.

Oh, I thought you had some clever idea for keeping track of your ferm temp.

You can buy a stainless thermowell and insert a 1-wire temp sensor and run the sensor wires out to an old laptop that can update a web page with the temperature graphs according to your prescribed schedule. In fact, you can add a couple more sensor in-line with that one on the same wire, and graph ambient temps, and heating and cooling cycles as well.

I think the 1-wire adapter is about $20 and the sensors are a few bucks each. You can use most any common wire, such as telephone wire, or ethernet cable (Although you only need two conductors.)

The software to operate it is actually very easy to use and it's ready to go, either Linux or Windows.

So I don't want to start a thread on lack of airlock activity because there are plenty out there already... But has anyone that has the Big Mouth Bubbler had a problem with the lid gasket not creating a good seal? I used mine for the first time yesterday and fermentation is active, but I have no CO2 coming out of the blowoff hose. I know I did not cross-thread my lid when I put it on, so the only thing I can think of is that that I don't have a tight seal around the lip with the gasket.

So I don't want to start a thread on lack of airlock activity because there are plenty out there already... But has anyone that has the Big Mouth Bubbler had a problem with the lid gasket not creating a good seal? I used mine for the first time yesterday and fermentation is active, but I have no CO2 coming out of the blowoff hose. I know I did not cross-thread my lid when I put it on, so the only thing I can think of is that that I don't have a tight seal around the lip with the gasket.

I wouldnt worry about that. When its connected to a blow off, it takes a lot more pressure to bubble then it does with a regular airlock. I hardly ever hear mine. RDWHAHB :mug:

I wouldnt worry about that. When its connected to a blow off, it takes a lot more pressure to bubble then it does with a regular airlock. I hardly ever hear mine. RDWHAHB :mug:

I guess I was just comparing it to my normal carboy, which would bubble like crazy with my blow off tube. I'm using the same tube as before, so was expecting similar results. Either way, I do like the Big Mouth Bubbler!

I really like mine and highly recommend it. This is the second batch I have done and the cleanup is very fast and simple. There is over six gallons of beer in primary in this photo. The blow-off works with an airlock, but id like to find a hose that fits in the stopper hole snug. Everything else if very solid about this product though!

Northern brewer sales a blow off hose that fits inside of the hole in the lid but its not a snug fit. I wish it fit around the outside instead of inside. I may put some tape around it to seal it off tgis next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Northern brewer sales a blow off hose that fits inside of the hole in the lid but its not a snug fit. I wish it fit around the outside instead of inside. I may put some tape around it to seal it off tgis next time.

Thanks for the heads up, I may have to snag one.

I picked one of the hoses up when I bought mine. I too wasn't that impressed with the fit of the hose. I actually decided not to use it and went with a tube fitted over my airlock stem instead. I was hoping the fit would have been similar to what you get when you use a 1" hose in the neck of a standard carboy.

Are those just stickers? How will they hold up to being in contact with liquids?

They are "permanent vinyl" stickers. Very similar to what is used on mail boxes, car window decals, and sight glass kits.

We'll see how they hold up. I had masking tape on there for a couple batches and had no issues with that so I think this should be OK.

They are "permanent vinyl" stickers. Very similar to what is used on mail boxes, car window decals, and sight glass kits.

We'll see how they hold up. I had masking tape on there for a couple batches and had no issues with that so I think this should be OK.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do this before my next batch. I had thought about etching it but didnt want to compromise the glass structure at all.

Thanks for the info. I will have to do this before my next batch. I had thought about etching it but didnt want to compromise the glass structure at all.

I don't think etching would compromise it at all. It's just a surface level type of thing. Nothing more than the typical scratches/marks that occur over time.

I chose the stickers because it was cheaper and easier.

I have an application for the carboy and I would like to find some plain, gasketed lids. Anybody have a size and thread, and hopefully source for these?

TIA,
Paul

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/6-5-...0423_Big+Mouth+Bubbler+Plastic+Product+Email#

Has anyone had any experience with this particular Fermenter? I see the glass model's review, but this is the plastic version and it looks like the lid is different. Doesn't really have a good shot of it from the top. It has an add on for a dual port lid for a thermowell.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...html?icn=NBHomepage&ici=BIGMOUTHPLASTIC_Slide

Check out the video on the NB site, it'll give you a better look. I plan on getting these in the near future.

Latest posts

Back