Big Mouth Bubbler Evo 2 - FRAGILE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splyn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since i received my Big mouth Bubbler Evo 2, i have brewed about 5 batches in it.Of those batches, i got a good seal maybe twice. In attempting to get a good seal, i tried stacking multiple gaskets and even created my own using a 1/4" food grade silicone mat, but to no avail. i recently found a small crack in the glass at the sealing surface of the vessel right at the molding seam. no big deal as you dont need a perfect seal to make good beer.

My usual process of cleaning involves soaking with PBW along with any small bits and bobs used in the brewing process. As i was pouring put the water after a saock, a stainless steel quick disconnect that was soaking as well slid down to ward the openeing and hit the top causing a star pattern crack. I always pour very carefully and slowly when doing this and the disconnect did not hit the glass with much force, but it was enough to ruin the bubbler. I have done this numerous times with normal glass carboys with no problem.

This is a real shame as i enjoy the convenience of the wide mouth, but the vessel is just too fragile to last. I will be informing NB about this and hopefully they can create a more robust product.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

That sucks. But from the NB site, the reviews for the Evo2 aren't much better than the original, scary-thin BMB.

If you're up for it, find a way to break that thing up a bit and see what the glass thickness actually is in various areas.
Might as well get something useful out of the remains...

Cheers!

The fragility of the glass BMB's is why I went with a plastic one... I don't have many complaints about the plastic one, but it isn't something I would seek out again either.

i knew the EVO2 was only marginally thicker than v1, but i took the chance anyways. i may pick up a plastic one as the wide mouth makes dry hopping and adjuncts easier to clean up.

Back