Big Foot Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
I've been searching for a Sierra Nevada Big Foot EXTRACT recipe, but I'm not finding much. Does anybody have one?

Thanks,
TC

I'll definitely get back to you with a 5 gal extract recipe, but I'm 100% certain BYO December 2012 has a list of Sierra Nevada clones, including a Bigfoot recipe I want to use - they give all grain, partial and extract. I'll get back tomorrow morning.

I'll definitely get back to you with a 5 gal extract recipe, but I'm 100% certain BYO December 2012 has a list of Sierra Nevada clones, including a Bigfoot recipe I want to use - they give all grain, partial and extract. I'll get back tomorrow morning.

Excellent!!! I haven't been a subscriber to BYO for a while (although that changed recently), so I don't have access to an issue from 2012. Consequently, I really appreciate you posting the recipe!

Thanks,
Todd

FYI, I remembered wrong - it's Extract with grains.

Bigfoot Clone provided by Sierra Nevada - 5 gallons

9 oz. 2-row pale malt
3.75 lbs light dried malt extract
8.0 lbs light liquid malt extract
1 lb 7 oz caramel 60L

0.75 oz. Chinook @ 150 min
0.75 oz. Chinook @ 105 min
1.5 oz. Cascade @ 60 min
0.75 oz. Cascade @ 10 min
0.75 oz. Centennial @ 10 min
0.25 oz. Chinook dry hop
1.25 oz. Cascade dry hop
0.5 oz. Centennial dry hop

Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001 or US-05

Steep grains @ 154F in 3 quarts water 45 min. Rinse with 2 quarts 170F water. Add water to brew pot to make at least 3.5 gallons of wort. Stir in DME and boil 150 min adding hops at indicated times. Add boiling water as necessary to ensure volume does not go below 3.5 gallons. Add LME in final 15 minutes.

Chill wort, transfer to fermentor and top up with water to 5 gallons. Aerate wort, pitch yeast (starter for liquid yeast option) and ferment @ 68F (beer temperature not ambient air temp).

Dry hop for 5 days.

Anyone make this. I brewed up a partial mash version 2 weeks ago. OG 1.092 FG 1.019. Wondering how long to secondary? If it were an English barlywine I let it sit for months. Never made a hoppy American version before and I don't want to lose alot of the hoppiness.

Mine turned out excellent. Aged it for two months then dry hopped it. It's close to big foot ,but I'm pretty sure Sierra Nevada uses a house yeast for a lot of their beers. Which could be the difference in taste.

I will be brewing this Monday! Gonna get the starter going tomorrow. I ended up with only 3lbs of DME but got 9.3 lbs of light LME, hopefully the OG will still turn out close. Wish me luck!:rockin:

Brewed this last Monday with an og of 1.090. It's still bubbling every two seconds out of the airlock, really excited to see how it's gonna turn out, might dry hop in the primary so I can use my bottling bucket\secondary for another brew while Bigfoot sits.

Latest posts

Back