'Big' Cream Ale Extract recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterWan

Reaction score
When I started brewing I made a cream ale using the American Brewer Cream Ale kit. It came out good, but it was a little light for my taste and came in at 3.8% ABV. Right in the adequate range for the cream ale style.

Recently, I made it again using the same kit, but added an extra pound of DME and used more aroma hops (Haas) at the end to brighten up the recipie. I also used liquid Wyeast in stead of the dried yeast that came with the kit.
It turned out amazing! The ABV is over 5% now and the flavor is really good. It took abut 6-7 weeks to fully condition. I did 2 weeks in the primary, and then 4 in secondary. Finally, I crash cooled it and put it under pressure in a brewkeg for a week. Great creamy head, malty slightly hoppy goodness and a light clear color. Wonderful aroma.

I am now going to modify some other extract kits to see if I can bump them up a little.

Experimenting and trying new things is one of the great things about this avocation! Rather than adjusting kits, you might consider using some brewing software and building/revising recipes on your own. I use Beersmith - you can download it for free and use it during a trial period to see if you like it before having to purchase it.

Cheers! :mug:

I made the Midwest Liberty Cream Ale recipe. Like your first shot, it tasted great, was pretty hoppy, but was a little light on the ABV front. Since that beer will be my summer "go-to" keg around the pool, I'm gonna throw in some DME like you did. Thanks for sharing.

I made the Midwest Liberty Cream Ale recipe. Like your first shot, it tasted great, was pretty hoppy, but was a little light on the ABV front. Since that beer will be my summer "go-to" keg around the pool, I'm gonna throw in some DME like you did. Thanks for sharing.

Be sure to add another oz or so of aroma hops during the last 15 minuts of your boil. The aroma is great, but even with the addition it is only subtly hoppy which I feel is perfect for a cream ale.

bah! its all gone. 5 gallons goes way too quickly, especially in a keg. I'm gonna do a double batch next time.

bah! its all gone. 5 gallons goes way too quickly, especially in a keg. I'm gonna do a double batch next time.

Nah...challenge yourself. Brew one batch, and when you're ready to keg it, brew a second batch and pitch it on the yeast cake. Give the keg a week or so to carbonate, and now the clock is ticking---you've got 3-4 weeks to empty that first keg in time for the next batch. Sounds like fun!!!

+1 on your hops suggestion--I've ordered an extra half-pound of Cascades for aroma and/or dry hopping additions.

Nah...challenge yourself. Brew one batch, and when you're ready to keg it, brew a second batch and pitch it on the yeast cake. Give the keg a week or so to carbonate, and now the clock is ticking---you've got 3-4 weeks to empty that first keg in time for the next batch. Sounds like fun!!!

+1 on your hops suggestion--I've ordered an extra half-pound of Cascades for aroma and/or dry hopping additions.

Thats a good idea. I am going to make a Chinook IPA soon, and I have a pilsner cold conditioning now in secondary. There is some sediment on the bottom (about a third of what there was after 10 days of primary), do you think that would be enough to use in the IPA batch to ferment? My thought is that I will use the pilsner yeast sediment in the IPA and ferment it at ale temperatures to make a steam ale. Typically, is there enough yeast left after secondary to make that happen?

Not too sure about re-using Lager yeast cake on a subsequent ale batch. I guess it's OK, but typically I've seen it done for either the same beer style or a "heavier" beer (like a brown ale followed by a stout or an IPA followed by a Double IPA).

Back