Big beers: learning first hand that the "beer will tell you when it's ready"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I got home early and decided to bottle my witbier using my new bench capper (acquired for 15$, new, yeah it's a brag). I took a final gravity, just to check if it had moved since last week. Nope, everything was fine. Bottling was uneventful and quick.

I then decided it would be a good idea to bottle my winter warmer next. Being the conscious little brewer that I am, I opted to take a gravity reading: it's a big beer (1.072 gravity) and I wanted to be sure everything was kosher. Took the gravity: 1.016, right on target, just like last week. The aroma was heavenly too: candied apple, with some EKG spices and inviting alcohol. I decided to taste the sample, as I always do.

It was akin to drinking sweet cider mixed with rubbing alcohol. There are no fusel since the beer fermented cold, but the green apple character was in full force, something that was missing just last week: you can taste it's decent underneath, but it's just hasn't mellowed. Had I decided to bottle after just the three weeks since brewing, that taste would have lingered on for ages. Now I'll just park it and brew another batch instead :D

Bottle conditioning is conditioning.
Might want to let it sit on yeast for awhile but if you bottle it and let it condition it's probably going to be fine.

The guy just got a new $15 bench capper, he's full of the joy that comes with buying new stuff and he wants to use it right away.

:mug:

Yeah, I did want to use my new toy. I'm taking my own advice and brewing a batch of porter instead.

Back