Big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnied

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm new to posting on the forum, been brewing extract for several years, found answers to many questions here. Here is what I've got.

8lbs ultra light extract

5lbs munich malt extract

1lb crystal 60l

1lb crisp crystal 60l

6oz crystal 40l

4oz crystal 120l

5oz centenial pellet hops

1oz cascade pellet hops

1oz czech saaz pellet hops

1os huell melon pellet hops

2 packs safale us-05

I'd like to make a big beer with these, mostly leftover, ingredients. My question is, will my yeast be able to handle all these fermentables, or should I follow up with a champagne yeast?

Thanks, vinnie D

A champagne yeast will not do what you believe it will as they ferment simple sugars, but they can handle high ABVs..
You only listed the amount of fermentables (and hops), but without target batch size and OG, that actually tells us close to nothing. It's like asking if a rope is long enough, without stating it's intended use :)

Don't think about using Champagne yeast. S-05 is pretty good; should be good up to 12%, if you take care of it.

Just using the extract (I assume it is Liquid extract) and a pound of Crystal will get you something like a 1.095 wort (I assume you are making 5 gallons). Problem is that extract is limited in how fermentable it is, and just using extract in a big beer will result is a high FG and a very sweet beer. You would be lucky to get down to 1.025.

If you replaced 2 lbs of LME with 1.5 lbs of table sugar, you would still have the same OG, but the FG will come down to somewhere around 1.020, or lower, and give you something like an 11% abv beer.

Yes, 5 gallon batch. All liquid extract. I have no target OG. I'll find out on brew day. Definitely do not want a sweet beer. Will one us-05 be enough? I plan on doing a starter. My question on champagne yeast is after fermentation has stopped, would it finish off anything left over? And perhaps even help dry it out?

Yes, 5 gallon batch. All liquid extract. I have no target OG. I'll find out on brew day. Definitely do not want a sweet beer. Will one us-05 be enough? I plan on doing a starter. My question on champagne yeast is after fermentation has stopped, would it finish off anything left over? And perhaps even help dry it out?

A stater is not the best practice for dry yeast, it's actually going to reduce viability. I would pitch both packs of rehydrated dry yeast for a 1.090 beer. If you want to dry it out a bit then some dextrose is a good choice for that as mentioned above. It will completely ferment out, which will give you a drier beer.

For a 1.090 beer I'd use three packs. Two packs is IMHO good for about 1.070. Don't make a starter from dry yeast.

I think I'm gonna drop a few pounds of the LME. I'm afraid I'd end up with a sweet beer otherwise.

Back