Big Beer yeast Question 1.210 O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2phly

Reaction score
Brewing my first Double. Using Wyeast 1318 (Englis Ale lll) in primary. Should I use something like a Nottingham dry in the seconday? This beer will primary at 5-7 dasys and seconday for 8-10 months. At that point I will bottle, maybe I could add the yeast then? Not sure, I have never ventured down this path before.

o2

Are you sure of the og? Even finishing at 1.070 your looking at a 19% beer!:eek:
If that's the case the London Ale won't have a chance.

What kind of "double"? Traditionally, Dubbel is a Belgian style and used Belgian yeast and is only around 1.06-1.07 starting gravity.

Your recipe would help, I hope you are staggering simple sugar additions after fermentation has already started or else you most likely won't see the results you are wishing for.

Okay. So assuming a 1 gallon batch and 70% eff and going with a high 38pppg you used 40 pounds of grain and over 30 gallons of water, then boiled it for 10 hours to achieve your stated OG.;)

You don't need yeast. You need pancakes cause you made "surup".:drunk:

I have not heard of anyone trying to pitch yeast directly into malt extract :)

Learn something new every day.

Seriously, post your recipe... I am curious.

it is impossible to start with a gravity that high and have a beer attenuate to any measure. let us know what's going on, i'm hoping a misreading. even for a regular size double, you will want to leave it in the primary longer than week.

... Fat fingered the O.G it will be 1.120. Thank you all for the uplifting responses. Looking forward to more accurate ones now. By the way this is an all grain batch. 20#Marris Otter and 2# of biscuit. I will use the spent grains to make a session beer simultaneously. I will not be sparging the double, using the spent grains I will cap with 2# of crystal for a lower gravity brew. Two for one, same price as two..... I live in Orlando so fermenting 70-80.

if your brewing a dubbel why are you using the Wyeast 1318? Id recoment one of the abbey ale strains which is used for the style(Wyeast Laboratories. Belgian Dark Strong Ale). Also i would recomend deffinitly using a large starter a bit higher grav than normal (maybe 1/2 gal at 1.060 maybe).

Listen to deathbrewer...let this thing sit in primary for atleast a month. Keep checking the gravity but im guessing you might have to repitch. If you can get your hands of some yeast nutrient i dont think that would hurt you either.

... Fat fingered the O.G it will be 1.120. Thank you all for the uplifting responses. Looking forward to more accurate ones now. By the way this is an all grain batch. 20#Marris Otter and 2# of biscuit. I will use the spent grains to make a session beer simultaneously. I will not be sparging the double, using the spent grains I will cap with 2# of crystal for a lower gravity brew. Two for one, same price as two..... I live in Orlando so fermenting 70-80.

To avoid confusion/explanation in the future, just say parti-gyle!:drunk:

Planned on doing a quad pitching of the 1318 in the primary then evey 4-5 weeks repitching 1056 or 1098 after reracking into another sanitized carboy. I bank my oun yeast so quantity is not an issue $$$. I had heard @usg the Nottingham towards the end (8- 10 months) to finish up the job and dry it out. But I do not want it too dry.

Repitching yeast isn't going to do you any good.

You need to start smaller (gravity and volume) and add sugar additions while fermentation is taking place in order for it to ferment down. Too high a gravity and viscosity and the yeast will not ferment properly.

Also, anything above 72 with that yeast is going to cause unpleasant off-flavours.

I've has mashes have an OG of 1.175+ but it was destined to be homemade bourbon! the hydrometer didn't float it layed on it side

Latest posts

Back