"Big Beer" and Your Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmm
mustardlarge.JPG

I have no idea if Chick-Fil-A is buying up other established fast food chains and using their power to put those brands in new markets and push out local competition and/or offering a free keg of Bourbon County if a bar buys 10 kegs of Bud Light in order to push out a local stout but please feel free to show me evidence if you have any.

Ain’t that a *****. Also, after AB/InBev bought Northern Brewer, it put several small local homebrew stores around me out of business due to cost cutting.

Michael Jackson was a wise and good man, and we all owe our fanaticism to him in one way or another and whether we know it or not. But I can’t help to think he would have spoken out about the evils (perceived or real) of what we are seeing with modern acquisitions.
I think he'd definitely be against industrial brewers buying out craft brewers, and then using acquired craft to fill up shelf space, choking out local brands. I think he'd be against the practice of filling tap space with acquired beer, often sold at cheaper prices to bars in order to make the whole proposition more attractive. Certainly, he'd be against buying producers of the raw materials and distributors that help to make the whole system work.

Would he be against an acquisition that allows the brewery in question to buy better equipment, improve quality control, expand reasonably, etc. I'm not sure why he would.

I would imagine that unless you are a staff member, you really couldn't answer question 1 accurately.

Also question 2 seems loaded to me. Personally, I can't think of a big brand that acts that way consistently.

Question 3, I would find it unusual if there wasn't a similar beer made by a craft producer. Availability to you would probably be more important. Even then, pricing is likely cheaper for the big boy brand.

Personally, I tend to avoid the beers I know have been acquired and stick to local because it's fresher for me. There are exceptions like bcbs and some Belgians.

Also Koops for mustard. Currently have Dijon, yellow, dusseldorf, brown, and stone ground in my fridge.

070281000273_2048x2048.jpg
There's definitely a limit to what we can reasonably know, and that's something always worth considering. I can't imagine a time where I'm happy to buy any beer, any time regardless of the producer. In fact, there's only one brewery I'm considering in this current exercise: Asahi, who owns both Urquell and Fullers. From what I can find, they seem to fit pretty well into the criteria I've laid out from what I can know.

There's definitely a limit to what we can reasonably know, and that's something always worth considering. I can't imagine a time where I'm happy to buy any beer, any time regardless of the producer. In fact, there's only one brewery I'm considering in this current exercise: Asahi, who owns both Urquell and Fullers. From what I can find, they seem to fit pretty well into the criteria I've laid out from what I can know.

$5 Asahi 1L cans were my go-to during undergrad. I still enjoy them.

I suspect that most people don't really care about who owns their favorite brewery(ies). It won't be the first time I've been exposed to such perspectives.

I wouldn't ask the question on a public forum unless I was interested in a variety of answers.
I've venture that 95% of the folks on here KNOW and don't care, or know and drawn a line in the sand and don't care to discuss the benevolence of said contemplation.

mods plz change title to mustard appreciation
@Contemplatemustard

I was huge on Victory at Sea from Ballast Point like 10+ years ago. They got bought, what, 3-4 years ago.

I'd still drink Victory at Sea IF the quality didn't fall off a cliff.

So yeah, I'd drink a Big beer beer if it didn't suck now.

Last edited:
As mustards go these two are ace

7E1AF5D5-675A-4A98-B5F0-A78FCA7F3579.jpeg

That said RyanG named best mustard in the planet already. That Kentuky stuff ****s hard. If anyone is wanting to send me some of that I am in.

Other mustard worth a mention is this.

98E90779-8E0D-405D-85C1-F701C8532B8B.jpeg

That said I need to revisit this one. Not tried it in almost a year.

Back