Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the yeast I assume s-04 is a lower attenuation yeast?

My experience with S-04 has always been higher attenuation (80-85%). If I'm looking for a higher finishing gravity I go with the US-05 strain. If you keep the fermentation down in the low 60s it should keep the ester production under control too.

Just my $.02

Just mashed this bad boy in. I got the grains awhile ago but went on a unintentionally brewing hiatus. First batch back! Hit 155*F on the mash (grain was colder than anticipated) and I'm getting to use my new Banjo KAB6!!!

into this with four 10 gallon brews all turned out great. The fifth one on tap right now not so much . Mashed at 157° S-04 went from 1.058 to 1.008 instead of 1.015 ish that I always get with this brew. Not balanced at all . I would add lactose but the wife is lactose intolerant . Its really not bad just dry with no malty backbone . This style is my wifes absolute favorite beer guess I will be brewing some more soon

Just tasted a batch of this. Really nice octoberfestish beer. Mine had slightly more hop flavor and bitterness than is really appropriate, but then I tasted it at 3 weeks, so it has got some aging to do and I expect the hops to fall off a bit. But all in all, as a fresh beer, it tastes great, even if mine doesn't hit the style yet.

I just bottled about 30 pints this morning and I am wondering how long I need to let it age before it is ready? My finishing gravity was a bit high (1.018) for some reason. Gave the beer out of the secondary a taste and didn't get a big malt taste like I was expecting. Color appeared to be right on. Another issue, this is going to have to age at room temperature which is around 78 degrees. Is this going to be a big problem? The fermentation was done in a chiller that was set at 65 degrees.

i was gonna do this this weekend but was wondering about the US-04. I can get it and will use it but people mentioned about pitching on a yeast cake to get it to ferm fast. Should i pitch 1, 1 1/2, or 2 packets. Is 2 overkill? This is gonna be for a 5.5 gal batch. Also what is the overall best mash temp for using US-04 and letting it ferment out (no stopping it)

I also have a yeast question. I plan on brewing this next week. my 4th BM brew. (love your recipes). I have S-04 but for me the taste profile is ok but not my favorite. I have washed WLP cream ale blend which I do like the taste of. Would the cream ale be ok since it also give a lager like taste addition as well as the ale?

I just brewed an Octoberfast 06/13/2010 (OG 1.059) w/Safale 04. Do you see any potential drawbacks in brewing a Tits-Up IIPA and pitching on the yeast cake on 06/27/2010?

Really considering trying this in a 10lb batch in July. I'm going to do one in my swamp cooler with ale yeast and try another in a freezer if I can find a good deal on one with lager yeast to compare the subtlety.

Multiple choice question and answer (yes like in high school).

I was planning on brewing this tomorrow and pitching on a yeast cake of US-04 that currently has the New castle clone on it brewed one week ago. I will not have time to brew tomorrow but will next week and was wondering what is the best option.

A. Leave the new castle in primary for 2 weeks instead of the 1 week (insructions for new castle clone says primary 1 week).

B. Get a huge slurry of yeast and stick it in the fridge in a sanitize 1L

C. Transfer the new castle to secondary and leave the yeast cake in the carboy with air lock on for a week then pitch on it.

I would like to do whats best for both the New castle clone and the OktoberFAST. Thanks!

Ok well i found some time on sunday to brew this so i pitched on a yeast cake of US-04 at 70 F. Missed my mash temp by a few degrees (154-156) and the final temp after 1 hr mash was 152 so kind of low. Hit the OG on the button. I have never pitched on a yeast cake and tossed it in the carboy at 7 pm. I assumed it would take a few hours to start so at 11 pm i went to drop some ice in to keep the primary temp down and the airlock was going crazy and my temp jumped to 74 F. Got it cooling after that downt o 72 in 15 min and down to 70 in an hour or two. Hopefully no Fusels and bubble gum. keeping my fingers crossed

I would like to do an extract version of this recipe. I just read through all 18 pages and found two listed, but no one mentions if they are good or not.
What does someone think of these two???

3.33 lb Bavarian Pilsner
1.2 lb Pale Liquid
1.2 lb Amber Liquid
1.15 lb Belgian Caravienne
1 lb Crystal Malt 20°L
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
1.25 oz Crystal (3.3%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

.86 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 41.16 %
1.40 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 14.95 %
1.33 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 14.23 %
1.15 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 12.25 %
1.09 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.61 %
0.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
1.27 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (45 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.63 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Anyone tried this recipe with a Kolsch yeast? I was thinking about doing BM's Helles Belles and then using the yeast for the OktoberFast.

I'm mashing this recipe tomorrow morning. I get to try out my newly fabricated "heatstick" as well. I substituted the safale 04 for the -05 on accident because I was distracted gabbing about the style of this brew with my LHBS guy so I'll just mash a little higher. Can't wait to try it out!

Just transfered from primary to secondary. Not a whole lot of malt flavor or biscuit coming through. I did miss my mash temp and mashed at 154 instead of 156-158 which may be the problem. OG was 1.053 and the beer finished at 1.014 pitched on a yeast cake of S-04. No yeast flavors due to pitching on such a big cake but overall best beer i have tasted after 1 week. Might try again later in july with a higher mash temp and maybe a little more of the caramel malt (thoughts?).

This is a 5 gallon partial mash version based on the recipe in the OP. It's not exact, but close. The grain bill is pretty large for a PM. Either mash it all in a 3 gallon (or larger) cooler, or mash the Munich, Vienna and Aromatic malts, and steep the rest separately.

Grains/Extract
2lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Munich 20L
1.5lbs Vienna
1lb Aromatic
1lb Caramel 20L
.5lb Caramel 40L
.5lb Carapils

Hops
1oz Tettnanger (60 min)
.5oz Tettnanger (45 min)
.5oz Tettnanger (30 min)

Yeast
S-04

According to hopville's calculations:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.016
SRM: 12
IBU: 22.9 (assuming the hops are 4.5 AAU)

I didn't get to make this like I said I would earlier but I started it tonight. It took forever to finally convert in my mash tun for some reason but I finally got it in the boiler and heating up.

ETA: I hit 1.051 on the gravity. I scaled up the grain bill a little because my efficiency isn't all that great. This beer has a beautiful color, to me.

1L starter going,
Grains measured and waiting for the mill tomorrow am. I did sub out Cara Red for CaraPils. I'm too lazy to get up and go to the LHBS tomorrow am.

More later!

B

Ended up at 1.055, a bit high, but okay with me. Starter got dumped into the beer around 6. I'll see how it's chugging along in the morning.

B

This finished up pretty quick at 1.010. I discovered the other day that my thermometer is off by about 10 degrees so that means I mashed it around 145 instead of 155. Add to the equation that I used 05 yeast and I can see why it's a little dry but it does taste pretty good right now. It has a nice color - almost orange at times.

I pulled it off the yeast cake and put it in a secondary (I'm about to start another brew this week). I'll give it a few days to settle out some more and bottle it up. Thanks for the recipe!

How did this one come out?? Large grain bill PM is exactly what I'm going for in my 5g MLT for this beer. (using a 30 qt kettle and Fermcap for a full boil)

This is a 5 gallon partial mash version based on the recipe in the OP. It's not exact, but close. The grain bill is pretty large for a PM. Either mash it all in a 3 gallon (or larger) cooler, or mash the Munich, Vienna and Aromatic malts, and steep the rest separately.

Grains/Extract
2lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Munich 20L
1.5lbs Vienna
1lb Aromatic
1lb Caramel 20L
.5lb Caramel 40L
.5lb Carapils

Hops
1oz Tettnanger (60 min)
.5oz Tettnanger (45 min)
.5oz Tettnanger (30 min)

Yeast
S-04

According to hopville's calculations:
OG: 1.052
SRM: 12
IBU: 22.9 (assuming the hops are 4.5 AAU)

Actually... Looking at 3 PM recipes in this thread... There appears to be quite a variation in the PM grains and DME.

Especially in the third one... 1lb less grains and 1.5 - 2 lbs less DME compared to the other 2.

Recipe 1
4 lbs. Light DME
2 lbs. Munich (20 SRM)
2 lbs. Vienna (3.5 SRM)

Recipe 2
3.5 Lbs Light LME
2.25 lbs Vienna
1.75 lbs Munich

Recipe 3
2lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Munich 20L
1.5lbs Vienna

Bottled tonight. Tastes great even without the carbonation. I'm sure this is going to be a great beer when it's finished.

Craig311,

Just bottled a PM using Recipe 1 having brewed on 7/4. Mashed everything instead of the mash/steep combo the recipe originally called for and subbed LME for DME. Although warm, flat, and with priming sugar added, the flavor was great. Really looking forward to it carbing up.

thinking of trying this recipe this weekend. three big questions:

1. did it turn out well?? don't see an answer later in the thread

2. i've never done a lager. as a single dude, i've figured out that i can rearrange my fridge to make room -- is that wise, or will it make all my food nasty?

Ok...trying to figure out how to make this recipe as an extract. I very slightly modified the extract recipe that was posted on this thread.

Can those of you more knowledgeable (maybe BierMuncher himself) let me know if this looks like it would work and be good for an extract?

OctoberFAST
3-B Oktoberfest/Märzen
Author: by BierMuncher

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 176.28 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.050 - 1.057)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.012 - 1.016)
Color: 15.05 (7.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.21% (4.8% - 5.7%)
Bitterness: 21.9 (20.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
3.33 lb Bavarian Pilsner
1.2 lb Pale Liquid
1.2 lb Amber Liquid
1.15 lb Belgian Caravienne
1 lb Crystal Malt 20°L
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
1.25 oz Crystal (3.3%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Just wondering (another yeast question) what about using White labs WLB 029 (the German Ale/Kolsch)? would that work and still make it all malty goodness?
Also i cant keg, so what about 7 days in primary and 21 days in secondary and 2 weeks in bottle? or do i need to extend things? also fyi everything is going to be done at 72 degrees just using the ac to maintian temps, i still need to get a fridge to cool things down. will that produce to many esters? thanks I plan on doing this beer next.

Brewed this sucker in my garage yesterday in high heat/humidity. Boy, 90 min boils suck in August! I really had to top off, about a gallon total. My OG was 1.06, so I added the full gallon and got to 1.054. I pitched US-05 based on a few comments in this thread. I was looking for a dryer finish, I hope it turns out OK! Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher!

Just wondering (another yeast question) what about using White labs WLB 029 (the German Ale/Kolsch)? would that work and still make it all malty goodness?
Also i cant keg, so what about 7 days in primary and 21 days in secondary and 2 weeks in bottle? or do i need to extend things? also fyi everything is going to be done at 72 degrees just using the ac to maintian temps, i still need to get a fridge to cool things down. will that produce to many esters? thanks I plan on doing this beer next.

Correct me if I'm wrong Skippy, but kolsch yeast that warm would be a bad idea for a malty beer like this. It would make for a very fruity beer, methinks.

Awesome Recipe BierMuncher!

Can't wait to brew this one up... Just as soon as I finish my attempt at cloning Redhook Late Harvest Autumn Ale this weekend....

Redbeard5289

Brewing this on Saturday. What is the final consensus of using S-04? Will a 60 min mash @ 155-156*F be about right? Also what about fermentation temps? I normally ferment around 65*F and ramp up to around 70*F during the last 3-4days of primary fermentation. Does this sound about right?

Thanks!

Any thoughts on Wyeast 1968 for this brew? Seems like it has the right properties, as long as you don't ferment too warm (>70) to avoid fruity tastes.

BTW - this will be my first AG batch, done DeathBrewer style. Should be fun!

Any thoughts on Wyeast 1968 for this brew? Seems like it has the right properties, as long as you don't ferment too warm (>70) to avoid fruity tastes.

BTW - this will be my first AG batch, done DeathBrewer style. Should be fun!
I used DeathBrewers technique as well for this. My first all-grain was BierMunchers Blonde Ale and I might mention that it was a bit easier than this recipe simple because the grain bill was a pond or two less. Good luck!

BierMuncher - I saw a note you had to do 10 days @ 63° then ramp up to 68ish for 5-7 days. Did you go to secondary then (if so how long & what temp?)? Even though this is using ale yeast is there any benefit to doing a cold crash after primary for a few weeks?

Beer sounds great, can't wait to get it going!

BierMuncher - I saw a note you had to do 10 days @ 63° then ramp up to 68ish for 5-7 days. Did you go to secondary then (if so how long & what temp?)? Even though this is using ale yeast is there any benefit to doing a cold crash after primary for a few weeks?

Beer sounds great, can't wait to get it going!

I'm sure I'v secondaried this beer for a couple of weeks. I tend to be a chronic secondarian. :p

Just bottled a 5 gallon version of this yesterday. It tasted fantastic when I sampled it out of the test cylinder. Here's how mine broke down:

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil: 90 min
OG: 1.049
ABV: 4.3%

Grain Bill:
-4.0 lb. Pilsner (2 row)
-2.5 lb. Munich
-2.0 lb. Vienna
-1.0 lb. Crystal 20L
-.75 lb. Aromatic
-0.5 lb. Carapils
-0.5 lb. Crystal 40L

Hops:
-Hersbrucker (2.4%) - 1oz. @ 60min.
-Tettnang - 0.5oz. @ 45min.
-Tettnang - 0.5oz. @ 30min.

Yeast:
1 x SafeAle S-04 - Fermented at 60F (Left it in the primary for 14 days, but I'm sure it was done in 5 or less. After a week I stopped changing the ice in the SOF chiller and let the temp creep up. It was about 68 when I crash cooled down to 37. I didn't secondary it.)

Mash:
Single Infusion @ 155F for 90min.

If this taste persists through bottle conditioning it will be a wonderful beer. Thanks BM.

Back