Biere de Garde yeast selection for warmer temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBoyScout

Reaction score
What would you guys use for a Biere de Garde if you wanted to ferment in the low to mid 70's? Normally I'd go WY 1007 but my cool storage is full. WY 3787 is mentioned as an option but seems like it'd be too expressive at these temps to me? Any cleaner options that are happy with higher temps you guys can think of?

For what it's worth, the recipe is going to be something like 75% Munich, 20% Pilsner, 5% Caramunich with an OG around 1.068

Thanks!

I always use WY 1107 for my Biere de Grade's. In fact I just did one a few weeks ago.I think any Belgian yeast would not be right for a BDG. Especially any that was fermented at 70 or above

I would wait until you can ferment cooler.

Cheers, yeah I noticed my LHBS had WLP515 right now (Antwerp ale) which is about as suitable sounding of a Belgian yeast there is I think.. it's 67-70 which I could probably muster but then I might as well go into the top range of WY1007 I think

I've had a similar dilemma but for me the problem is I've got nowhere to put a brew fridge yet and can only really stick to 20C or above.

I've done a few hybrid beers using BdG malt and hop bills with Belgian yeasts. They were admittedly sod all like a BdG but they were nice so it may be worth a punt as an experiment if you can't do anything else with the malt. I've tried French Saison, WLP550 and WLP570 for this sort of thing.

There are a few French Brewers that really blur the line between the French and Belgian styles and make great beer.

Back