BIAB with sparge salt additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
OK, sorry to make a new thread on this, but I couldn't find an answer for this with someone with a similar set up.

I do a BIAB with a sparge. Here's my process. I have an 8 gallon kettle, which I mash in. I heat my sparge water in another kettle to about 165. I remove the grains from the 8 gallon, drain, then put the bag in the second kettle for 15 min. Combine, then I have my full volume for the boil.

So in my brew day for this weekend, I'm doing an IPA. I plan on using 100% RO water. I have 4oz acidulated malt in the grain bill to help mash ph. I also plan on adding 1tsp Calcium Chloride and 1.5tsp, maybe 2tsp of gypsum. Would I just add this to the mash, or should some of this go into my sparge?

I'm not totally sure you need the acid malt in the mash since you are adding a decent dose of calcium salts to the water. I'm not sure where those additions take the calcium concentration. If the beer seems a little tart, you might consider backing off the acid malt. But the beer should be fine either way. Keep it in for now.

I assume that the total quantity of salts was calculated based on the total water volume. If that is the case, then split the salts up per the amount of water in each addition.

Thanks! I've read more of the primer info on here and played with some water spreadsheets and I think I've got enough of a handle on it.

Back