BIAB with current equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok well that makes sense somewhat. Why do you only steep grains for like 20 minutes in extract then?

Oh ok well that makes sense somewhat. Why do you only steep grains for like 20 minutes in extract then?

Steeping is done with specialty grains like crystal malt that don't need to be mashed, there is no conversion of starch to sugar, you are merely rinsing them for flavor, like making tea. Base malts require mashing and conversion of starches at a specific temperature.

I'm getting pumped to do this! But I also want to start kegging too which obviously I could do both at the same time but id rather do one step at a time. I think just being able to buy actual grains rather than lme or dme. Baller

I will be kegging for my first time tonight! I'm lucky enough to have an appliance repairman as a roommate. He got a chest freezer for free from work because it was dented. If you haven't already gotten it, I got mine from here http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=493. It was ridiculously easy, since it all came assembled. I'm not sure if other suppliers do that. Just make sure to check all your connections for leaks before leaving it alone.

Doing all-grain is significantly cheaper than extract, as in ~$10-$15 a batch. It also really opens up what you can do. If you are unsure of BIAB, but still want to do all-grain, just start doing BIAB now (since you have everything but the bag), and put aside the money you are saving from doing extract. If after you have saved enough money from that you decide BIAB is not for you, then you'll have the money to get a more traditional setup. :)

Congrats on kegging! Good luck with that. I really want to start but I have to slowly get the wife used to the idea haha. But back to all grain.. Is there really that much of a benefit of a traditional all grain set up from BIAB? I'm going to start with BIAB regardless to try it because all I need is a bag but just curious

So has anyone who has switched from extract to BIAB seen an improvement in the quality of their beer?

I'm a rookie too, I just finished bottling my first AG BIAB. I noticed a fuller flavour and character than I ever noticed with extract with the samples I tried while bottling.

Well that's definitely good to hear. Right now I think the beer I make is good but I just think it could be much better and I'm hoping this will help. Hopefully I get a chance to brew again soon!

While my extract brews were always pretty good, my all-grain batches really are much better. They taste more like a professionally brewed beer. There's no twang, the colors are better, they come out clearer, they taste fresh. You can control the body with all-grain, something that's impossible with extract as it is the malting process that controls it, and that step is already done.

Sweet! I'm pumped and nervous to try it out. Just gotta find time again!

I'd like to try biab. But, where do you get a recipe for this? And, am I going to get hosed just ordering small amounts of grain for a particular batch or two? My lhbs doesnt carry much of a variety.

You don't really base recipe off the way you brew, base it off the amount your setup can make. For instance if you want to do all grain and only have a 5 gallon pot, you will probably be stuck doing 2-3 gallon batches. Typically with biab you have to have a pot 2x the size of your batch if you do full volume mash, it can be slightly smaller if you do a sparge in another vessel.You can always do partial mash with that big of a pot though. If your supplier doesn't have alot of variety, go with austinhomebrew or northernbrewer or any of the other online sites that are out there. As for converting the recipe from say a 5.5 gallon batch to 3 gallon you can do it by hand, 3/5.5=0.55 Multiply all the ingredients by .55, or use software that will do it for you, such as beersmith, or brewmate. I use brewmate because it is easy to save all my data, lets me convert my recipe, and is FREE. If you want to calculate your water needed for a full volume, add your grain absorption
( 0.6xlbs of grain), boiloff, and water needed. Trying to hit a lot of bases here hopefully didn't leave any thing out

I'd like to try biab. But, where do you get a recipe for this? And, am I going to get hosed just ordering small amounts of grain for a particular batch or two? My lhbs doesnt carry much of a variety.

You could send me a private message letting me know what kind of beer you like. I've brewed a number of different styles at 2 1/2 gallons.

Thanks for your help. When I get time I will do that. Have to figure it out first. I could do that with my 7 gall pot now. Try and pm you later.

Back