BIAB- Stepping the Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
I am new to BIAB but not to all grain and think I will give it a try. Everything I read has the grains and bag being put in the kettle at a strike temperature typically higher than the more traditional methods due to the high water to grain ratio.

Can anyone comment on why you can't add the grain to the kettle at room temperature, add heat, and allow the enzymes the full range of the temperature spectrum with the idea of ending at the conversion temp and doing the rest.

My idea is to add 50F water to my kettle, turn on the propane and allow this to rise to 158F on its own while stirring. Cut off the propane, wrap the kettle for an hour and then pull.

I have done it both ways and prefer adding the grains early and heating to the desired mash temp. I do find with the aluminum pot and the turkey fryer that it is easy to overshoot either way, so I am finally learning to kill the heat when it is 3-5 deg F under and let the residual heat in the metal take care of the remainder.

I was wondering this as well. Seems like it would be just slightly easier because you don't have to guess/ calculate your strike temp. You can just heat it up to the exact mash temp you are shooting for and your done except for an occasional temp check and stir.

Have you ever melted a hole in your brewing bag? If it sits all the way on the bottom you can.

I have a circular, stainless cooling rack with legs that I put on the bottom of the kettle to keep the bag from hitting bottom. People also use stainless colanders. Solves the problem, and highly recommended.

Back