BIAB: Should I use a hop bag/sock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemontato

Reaction score
I've read that they contribute to a loss of utilization of hops and that I should consider that in my recipes.

What are your experiences with that?

If it matters at all, in my case the wort is transferred from kettle to primary fermenter with an auto-siphon.

The only point is people get all concerned about hops and break material getting into fermenter. I usually end up with a lot of that stuff in the fermenter and think it hurts nothing.

BIAB is supposed to be easy - why mess with another bag to clean?

If you are using pellet hops then no bag but leaf hops I would because they can clog things up. Only time I ever use a hop bag is if I plan to use my plate chiller because the hops can clog it when it is gravity fed.

Get a double mesh strainer for pouring it into the fermenter, especially if using a lot of hops. The brewing ones set right on top of the fermenter

Why I don't use hop bags is that I don't know of any easy way to add new additions without new bags, and if your doing multiple additions, will probably cost less for a strainer.

Get a double mesh strainer for pouring it into the fermenter, especially if using a lot of hops. The brewing ones set right on top of the fermenter

Why I don't use hop bags is that I don't know of any easy way to add new additions without new bags, and if your doing multiple additions, will probably cost less for a strainer.

I just use a paint strainer bag from home depot. Reusable and affordable. Plus they typically fit around the rim of a 5-7 gallons pot so they can stay open for easy additions. I put my bags around the rim of a turkey fryer basket and just drop that into my 15 gallon kettle.

get a double mesh strainer for pouring it into the fermenter, especially if using a lot of hops. The brewing ones set right on top of the fermenter

why i don't use hop bags is that i don't know of any easy way to add new additions without new bags, and if your doing multiple additions, will probably cost less for a strainer.
******this******

I use bags. They are super easy even with many additions. Here is how...

Addition number 1 - Add hops to bag, drop one end of bag in wort, clip other end of bag to side of kettle. (I use metal paper binder clips)

Addition number 2 - Unclip bag. Open bag, add hops. Clip bag back to kettle.

Lather rinse repeat as they say.

You can get a ton of hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. 99% of the hops material can then be removed by pulling the bag out when you are done. This makes it super easy. Dump the hop gunk then rinse the bag with the hose and wash in the sink. Easy peasy.

While it MIGHT cause a lower level of hops utilization, and I am not sure anyone has proven this to be true, it is very likely there is no way you would be able to tell the difference. If you are worried, you could always add an extra hop pellet or 2 (because that is likely about how big an impact we might be talking here.)

I have not noticed a difference from using a bag to not using a bag... and I have repeated recipe's one with one without. saved two bottles and tasted no difference...

Back