BIAB Rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still in the process of collecting info and equipment to begin BIAB. I know I need some sort of thing to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot. The diameter of my pot is about 16.25" Will this work or do I need something sturdier, taller, something else?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot? (I assume you're talking about the mash, when no heat is applied.)

From what I've read here and other places, when using a direct fired system (like I do), I might need to use the burner a bit during the mash to maintain temps, so they recommend having a rack to keep the bag off the bottom. Anyone have any experience with this?

From what I've read here and other places, when using a direct fired system (like I do), I might need to use the burner a bit during the mash to maintain temps, so they recommend having a rack to keep the bag off the bottom. Anyone have any experience with this?

If I may, I BIAB without any issues using about the same size aluminum pot you have. I find that if I place my pot in an oven preheated to 170F, and then turn OFF the oven once I place the pot inside, I never lose a single degree. No need to keep the bag off bottom, unless you are doing a temperature mash with multiple steps.

I like the item in your link, it works AWESOME for draining your mash bag after the sparge.

I have done 3 BIAB batches without any rack at the bottom of the brewpot. The first attempt (2.5gal batch in 5gal pot) I hit the target mash temp than wrapped the pot in a couple of towels and did not apply any additional heat. The temperature only dropped a degree or two over 60min.

The second batch (5gal batch in 8gal pot) I used a simmer burner to keep the mash temp constant, and when I was cleaning out the grain bag I noticed some small signs of the bag melting.

The most recent time (2.5 gal batch in 5 gal pot) I added heat every 15 min to makeup for any temperature loss and stirred constantly while heating. I never had to heat for more than a min or two at a time and saw no signs of the bag melting. I also made sure to roll the bag up and clip it to the brew pot handles to keep it off the bottom of the pot as much as possible.

Since reading your post I remember reading about these racks, but it apparently did not stick with me. In conclusion it might be a good investment if you want to make sure your beer does not taste like melted grain bag (however my melted bag batch did not taste so)

Hopefully the input helps

As for draining after the sparge, I'm planning on doing the no sparge, one pot method. I have a colander that will sit on top of my 60qt pot to let the bag drain.

I'm glad to hear that others have had success without a rack at the bottom, but I think I'd like to have one, just for safety's sake. So, going back, does that one I listed look to be sturdy enough? I don't know exactly what to look for in this item, but this one stood out for its size as well as being made of stainless steel.

I love BIAB. It has worked quite well for me so far. I actually use a 5 gallon paint strainer and have had no issues so far. The no sparge method seems to work well. Also since I use a paint strainer I do not have to have such a fine crush on my grain either.

I think that rack you listed would work, but I dont have any first hand experience with using a product like this. I think the purpose for the rack is more of a spacer than anything.

I have done no sparge as well as done a small sparge before hanging the grain bag to drain depending on the size of the pot/amount of grain/batch size.

I am going to get one of these, not only does it keep your bag off the bottom but makes lifting the bag, drain the bag and sparging in a second pot way easier. There are little feet on the bottom as well, they are intended for steaming seafood.

available at some Home Depots, not here unfortunately, so I will be buying mine from the local restaurant supplier.

d7f87c12-c785-4820-9f3d-8bc11623b0aa_300.jpg

I think the rack would work, but have never used one. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer, never had it melt. BIAB has turned my 3 vessel system into a two vessel system and soon it will be a one vessel system, saving me time, and propane, and TIME.

Edit: I was going to get a steamer basket, but I fear not being able to get one deep enough to submerge my grain. Also, so far my paint strainer bags have worked fine. So I'm on the fence. If I can fine the right size for my keggle I would consider it.

Yeah, the restaurant supply place where I got my pot said they could get that for me when I was trying to explain about the cooling rack spacer thing I was looking for. I instead found a colander that will fit on top of my pot where I can just put the bag to drain instead of sparging in a separate bucket. I think I'm gonna order the rack I posted today or tomorrow. Then all I'm waiting on is my mother sewing the bag!

Oh I forgot to say I use a colander as well. I need to get a 40 qt pot currently using a 30qt and it gets a little dicey sometimes but the only mistake I made before was using almost 7 gallons in the pot and not realizing that until it came time to put it in the fermenter.

I use a cooling rack with legs that fold up under the rack. When extended, they raise the rack higher than the rack you posted, but I suspect that what you posted will work. You could always rig up some higher stand-offs if needed.

Another thing to consider is clearance above anything you have in the bottom part of the kettle, such as dip tubes and the like.

I use a keg with the top cut out, and a homemade bag. I drape the bag over the sides and use a ractchet strap to tie the bag up so it does not touch the bottom of the pot. The last batch was my first, I did not cover the setup with anything and had to light the burner about halfway through the mash for a couple. I had no burns on the bag at all. My bag stayed in the water from the moment the flame went on. It is made of voile material.

I use a splatter shield that you put over a pan when frying something. About the same price but its starting to show its wear so I'm bookmarking that link you sent. My only challenge would be fitting it through the top of my keggle. I think its a necessity, I do 5g batches and mash out so I have the burner lit to take it up to 170*.

Latest posts

Back