BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it the way you quoted, but took it out for a regular mash, but no reason you couldn't leave it in

not sure on the water profile, but probably would target a profile best suited for whatever the underlying style would be. pale ale profile for a regular pumpkin ale, stout profile for a pumpkin stout. think the important thing is to have a solid recipe and process for the underlying style... then add the pumpkin

would say that's true about any additions to a recipe, make sure the base beer is the best it could be, then add cocoa, vanilla, spices, oak cubes, peanut butter, leather, whatever.

I made my annual pumpkin ale this weekend. I did a full volume mash BIAB. While I was mashing at 152F, I cubed and roasted 3 lbs of pie (Sugar Pie) pumpkin. Jack O Lantern pumpkins won't be the same...you need varietals grown for eating. I put these roasted pumpkin cubes in several muslin bags that were added to my 60 min boil. The bags made the pumpkin easy to remove, and I personally see no reason for the pumpkin to be part of the mashing process. Flameout, add 2 TBSP of spice mix cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove.

Racked cooled wort to fermenter with WLP001. 67F

In 9 days I will rack to secondary on top of 2 more lbs of fresh roasted pumpkin that is glazed with maple syrup and molasses. 9 days in secondary, then rack to keg for carbing and conditioning.

I feel this is one of the better pumpkin ales you'll try.

Back