Biab huge volume of trub.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef1978

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I did today batch of English IPA,it is smaller batch 15 liters.
-Pre boil water -21L
-4.2 kg Marissa otter
0.5kg Victory
I used Brewfather software,I managed to hit all predicted numbers,my og was even 2 points up,but after boiling and chilling ,I ended up with 5 liters of trub! So instead of having 15L in to fermenter ,I got only 11.

This is my first BIAB really so I'm not sure if this amount is normal, I used to brew before on more common setup like igloo cooler,sparge and boil kettle .
Thanks for sharing yiur experiences.

It is definitely not normal for one-third of your wort to be trub. Definitely SQUEEZE the hell out of that brew-bag after mashing, and consider putting your boil hops in a brew-bag as well, so that you can squeeze the hell out that, too. Then I just dump everything into the fermenter.

Last edited:
It is definitely not normal for one-third of your wort to be trub. Definitely SQUEEZE the hell out of that brew-bag after mashing, and consider putting your boil hops in a brew-bag as well, so that you can squeeze the hell out that, too. Then I just dump everything into the fermenter.
Yeah I had 100grams of hop I think next time I will use fine mesh stainless steel cylinder to nail the hop in and maybe finer nylon bag

If you milled your malts very fine or to powder, then you will have more stuff getting through the bag. You might try a bag with a tighter mesh. But that might make it harder for water to pass in and out of it if you get too tight a mesh.

Some whrilfloc will help it settle to the bottom of the boil kettle or what ever you chill in so you can get more clean wort. Or just let it sit longer before putting in the FV and it'll settle some.

If you are planning your mash and boil amounts to get you exactly the same amount you wish to put in the FV, then you might plan on more volume after the boil so you can get the full and clean amount you wish leaving the crud laden wort behind.

I haven't found trub to be an issue for beer in the FV other than it does affect how much volume of beer you ultimately can get.

I too get a ton of trub with my BIAB process. As @hotbeer touched on, the best plan is to increase your volume to account for it. Oh - and bag/strain hops when possible.
20240311_165100.jpg

I biab too and I've increased my volumes to account for some of that. I also let things settle in the kettle for 30-45 minutes after chilling. That helps to let most of the trub settle to below the spigot*. And lately I've been using a sanitized kitchen strainer when racking to the fermenter. All the above helps to decrease the amount of trub that makes its way to the fermenter without affecting the quality of the resulting beer.
*If your kettle does not have a spigot you can try sanitizing an auto siphon and keep it above the trub line.

and how do you know it's 5 liters of trub? did you let it fully compact or what? you probably had 1 liter of trub and 4 liters of wort?

I find that letting the kettle settle down for a good hour or longer allows most of the trub to drop out of the wort.

I strain my wort to fully separate the trub and usually have about a liter of almost solid trub with very little liquid.

This is my first BIAB really so I'm not sure if this amount is normal, I used to brew before on more common setup like igloo cooler,sparge and boil kettle .
It will likely compact down significantly once fermentation winds down. I get a little more trub using BIAB than I did with 3 vessel, so I boosted my target fermenter volume by 0.25 gal. I find that 5.5 gals into the fermenter will get me a full 5 gallon keg.

Latest posts

Back