BIAB brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collindv

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with doing BIAB in this kettle?

CONCORD Stainless Steel Home Brew Kettle Stock Pot (Weldless Fittings) TRIPLY BOTTOM VERSION (80 QT/ 20 Gal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JBGB8B/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am looking for a new kettle large enough to do 10 gallon batches, with 2 ports and interior volume markings. This seems to check all of those boxes at a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that pot, but with welded fittings. No issues.

Check what your full volume mash requirement is on the biggest beer you make. We have made 10 gallon batches, but has to be a smaller beer.
For $20 more, I would go with the 25 gallon. We make a lot of big beers and the 20gallon isn't big enough to hold the full volume mash for some 5 gallon batches. We just to a baby sparge with 2-3 gallons of water in another tub....but would be nice not to have to.

I have that pot, but with welded fittings. No issues.

Check what your full volume mash requirement is on the biggest beer you make. We have made 10 gallon batches, but has to be a smaller beer.
For $20 more, I would go with the 25 gallon. We make a lot of big beers and the 20gallon isn't big enough to hold the full volume mash for some 5 gallon batches. We just to a baby sparge with 2-3 gallons of water in another tub....but would be nice not to have to.

I am typically in the 5-7.5% ABV range, not too many big beers.

I have the 25 gallon version, and I added my own weldless valve to it. I have BIAB 20+ gallon batches by using top up water in it before. I was pretty shy about ordering this pot, because a few years back when I got mine there wasn't much info on them, I sure as hell don't regret buying it. Very good quality for the money.

What about the thermometer input? Does that catch on the bag at all?

Yes, it does. Either get a shorted probed thermo or plug it and used a different way to check temps. I capped mine and use a hand held instant read Thermoworks, it is much more accurate than the dial thermos.

a 10 gallon batch of 7.5 % beer with a full volume mash will need about 23-24 gallons of mash tun/kettle volume on my system.

Hmmm. If you get 95% conversion efficiency (reasonable for a fine grind), and squeeze a bit to get grain absorption down to 0.08 gal/lb, you should be able to achieve an OG of 1.080 with 34 lb of grain, a total mash volume of 18.2 gal, with 1.8 gal total boil off, and a mash efficiency of 70.2% (based on simulator linked here.)

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:

My model doesn't have a thermometer either. For a thermometer, I recommend buying a Thermoworks and drilling a small hole in the lid for it to rest in, you can place a weldless nipple with a nut and washer as a spacer if you need to, it doesn't need to be waterproof obviously.

Hmmm. If you get 95% conversion efficiency (reasonable for a fine grind), and squeeze a bit to get grain absorption down to 0.08 gal/lb, you should be able to achieve an OG of 1.080 with 34 lb of grain, a total mash volume of 18.2 gal, with 1.8 gal total boil off, and a mash efficiency of 70.2% (based on simulator linked here.)

Brew on :mug:

You are right.... I had my spreadsheet set up for a 2hr boil from my last brew...

but I still stand by my point to get the bigger 25 gal for $20 more...

I have a Bayou Classic so no experience with that kettle.... That said I don't have, never have had issues with the bag hanging up on a 2" temp probe. My kettle has a 5500W element in the bottom so I use one of these -false bottoms - to keep the bag off the element...might work for your temp probe?

Cheers! Don

Concord is a very good kettle "for the money" IMO.

I would buy the $100 kettle without fittings or a thermometer, and add a valve if you want to.

You're paying a premium for a thermometer and a tri ply bottom, both of which you can do without.

I find a hand held thermometer more beneficial than a kettle mount.

And while most here will disagree, a kettle valve is not mandatory imo. Racking chilled wort out of the kettle adds 5 minutes to your day, and bonus is you never have to worry about a dirty valve or cleaning one...

A few simple marks on you mash paddle or long spoon replaces the need for sight glass or kettle markings.

Bru Gear has their 10 gallon SS kettle on sale for $90 plus shipping and has Tri Clover fittings and three piece ball valve. Not a bad deal for a BIAB kettle.

Bru Gear has their 10 gallon SS kettle on sale for $90 plus shipping and has Tri Clover fittings and three piece ball valve. Not a bad deal for a BIAB kettle.

That is a great deal! I have a feeling I would have buyer's remorse for not getting at least a 15 gallon eventually. I am still searching!

I have this exact kettle (15 gallon) and while it is a great kettle for the money, I have had a few issues.

For one, I cannot get the valve to quit leaking. I have tried a little bit of teflon tape, a lot of teflon tape, tightening the nut down tight, and also tightening it down not so tight. Mind you it's a slow drip, but still annoying. This does seem to go away once the kettle starts to warm. I'm assuming this is due to expansion.

While the bag does catch on the temp probe sometimes, it usually only leaves a small hole here and there. However, while lifting the bag last night, it snagged and left a good 2" hole.

After last night, I've decided that I'm going to do away with the dial thermometer since I have a Thermopen. As far as the leak goes, I haven't figured that part out yet.

One last little thing. There are not any graduated markings on the kettle, so you'll have to rely on another method to measure your water. I simply use a steel yard stick and measure accordingly. (1 gallon = 1 1/8" from center of pot)

With all of that being said, the kettle built well and a great deal! I've probably done about 10+ batches in it to date and it's still in great condition! I think by forgoing the dial thermometer and getting the welded valve, this kettle would be perfect. Good luck!

To me, a dial thermometer is just a ballpark instrument. Something that lets me know when it's close to time to check the strike water. Certainly not necessary. A drain valve IS a necessity to me, as it makes racking to the fermenter much easier.

I have 2 Concord kettles, the 15 and 20 gallon. Good value for the money. I silver-soldered threaded fittings on them for the thermo and valve, as I never had good luck in the past with weldless.

Back