BIAB 25 Gallon Concord Bag Help??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
It's been years since I've done any BIAB, but I'm thinking about switching to it for a while until I can get some other upgrades to my home brewery done. When I used to BIAB I used stockings, and was only doing 5 gallon batches on the stove.

I'm guessing there really isn't a bag out there that will even come close to fitting my 25 gallon pot. I'm planning to do mostly 10 gallon batches, and some 5. I was wondering if it would make sense to use either 1 or 2 of the 2x3 grain bags I see for sale on places like NB? It's not imperative that the bag reach over the top of the pot is it? I was kind of thinking about placing a board or something in the middle of the pot to connect the grain bag/bags to. How much grain will a 2x3 bag hold? I don't really do any high gravity beers.

My hat is off to you BIABers, I believe you've figured out one of the best kept secrets in home brewing!

Thanks in advance for the help.

I ordered my bag from wilser for my 80qt Concord pot and it works great. Using that little pulley too. Works like a champ. I typically do 10-gallon batches or really big 5-gallon beers with that setup.

Yeah geez that is a good price too. I think I'm just going to order one from him but still curious about the 2x3 bags.

Others here I'm sure have opinions, but I think the 2 x 3 bags pretty much suck :)

I will gladly cut you a great deal on a 2nd bag if your interested. For such a large pot with larger grain bills you may be interested in the pulley upgrade for only $6 additional, a great value for a little bit of cash.

Your order is ready to ship, let me know if you want to make any changes.

PM sent

thanks wilser

I have a 25 gallon pot. Wife went to target -got a voile sheer curtain panel and made several bags. Cost less than $10.

I bought a couple bags from Wilserbrewer and used them this last weekend in my pair of 25s (20 across X 20 deep). They worked well. I was very much pleased with em.

I do get anxious about hanging that much grain over boiling hot sticky goo...

Wilserbrewer, could you speak to the strength of the draw string? I usually double a loop back on itself and use the bunched matirial from pulling the draw string as the head in the noose if that makes sence.. it's a bit sketchy but I havent had any failures.

Swifty

Wilserbrewer, could you speak to the strength of the draw string?
Swifty

The drawstring is 175 lb break strength, and since there are two parts supporting the bag, one would double that to 350 lb ultimate. There are several ways to attach the bag, I prefer to use a loop of cord wrapped twice around the bag and cinched tight. This method is also nice in that the lifting point on the bag is lowered and is more height friendly. I posted a thread here detailing different approaches.....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416419

For extremely large BIAB, I suggest using a strap or webbing to secure the bag, this is what I use for large bags, say 80 - 145 gallon.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6267619&postcount=21

This post is worth a look as well....might make you feel better :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6770157&postcount=45

Hey wilserbrewer sorry I haven't updated sooner but my grandpa passed away, so just wanted to take the time to say thanks again. Really happy with the bags, and especially the ratcheting pulley. Here are a few pictures. I ground a little finer than normal but my efficiency was terrible, like 60%. I did a little work on my corona mill and plan to grind smaller and stir more on the next batch, we'll see what happens.

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4490.jpg

Back