bi-layer fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkashiiBrew

Only drink when your all alone or with somebody el
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Oktoberfest
OG 1.057
Yeast WLP-820

Pitched at 49 degrees and let rise to 53 degrees in my Ranco controlled mini fridge. Pitched 18 hours ago and this is what I got now. Carboy on right has 2 distinct layers. Don't remember if this is the 1st half or 2nd half of the 5 gal batch. No obvious signs of active fermentation yet. Holding my breath and hoping all will be fine. Input is welcome. This was to compare with my BM OktoberFAST done with US-05 ale yeast.
bi-layer-fermentation-60692.html

update, 48 hours to active fermentation at 53 degrees and both look the same. Must have been the pellet hops. Next time a filter of some sort near my dip tube. I did recirculate during the 20 minute cooling time. Must have had the pump on too high and sucked the hop pile out of the center. ..........ideas anyone........

update, 48 hours to active fermentation at 53 degrees and both look the same. Must have been the pellet hops. Next time a filter of some sort near my dip tube. I did recirculate during the 20 minute cooling time. Must have had the pump on too high and sucked the hop pile out of the center. ..........ideas anyone........

If it's hops, it'll settle to the bottom with the trub.

Back