Better than Apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can anyone give me an idea of where 4 gallons of AJ with 1 pound of corn sugar (o.g. of 1.056) should finish using wyeast 3068? i'm getting impatient with mine, which has been hovering around 1.004 for a good 3-4 days now.

Might be done. 1.002-1.004 is what I commonly see with beer yeasts in apple juice.

Hmmmm could you pitch some wheat beer on a cider yeast cake made from weizen yeast? I wonder what that would taste like...

(liquid yeast costs $13-4 where I live :( )

WOW, you need to get yourself on the internet and start a yeast ranch so you can (effectively) pare down that cost! That's really really high...

~M~

Since montrachet is such a filthy fermenter, I would like to try something else so my house doesnt smell so bad. I heard the red star Premiere Cuvee finishes nice and dry but doesnt stink up the house....has anyone here tried that?

I used Premiere Cuvee and didn't notice any stench.

Since montrachet is such a filthy fermenter, I would like to try something else so my house doesnt smell so bad. I heard the red star Premiere Cuvee finishes nice and dry but doesnt stink up the house....has anyone here tried that?

I've used montrachet without the "rhino farts" & the only difference was the addition of yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & diammonium phosphate. If you want to try other yeast strains, you might find Jack Keller's site useful: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast And there is also civillekevin's sticky on apfelwein juice/yeast experiments: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/ Regards, GF.

nope, not yet, but again, i'm not sure how clear it's supposed to get with the 3068 yeast.

My batches with 3068 cleared completely after about 4 weeks but I let all my AW sit in glass primary for 8 weeks regardless.

so it cleared up in the last few days - can see right through it. Drank a pint of it last night - it still smelled slightly of vinegar, tasted like mostly nothing. Guess i'll just bottle it and revisit in another few months.

The 3068 + 0# tastes and smells appley; you don't have to go hunting for the apple. On the downside, it's taking forever to carb. I'll let it sit a few more weeks and see what happens.

Another update on the 3068+0. It finally carbed up and is seriously good. Distinct-but-subtle appley smell and flavor, a touch of sweetness that is balanced with the champagne-like nip from the carbonation. This is (voice=alec guinness) the cider I've been looking for. I am happy.

The SWMBO, who is very picky and doesn't like beer or anything I brew said "That's good. You know what I like."

Timeline:
20081113 put in primary
20090115 or so: bottled with 4oz of table
20090310: carbed up, ready to drink

Another update on the 3068+0. It finally carbed up and is seriously good. Distinct-but-subtle appley smell and flavor, a touch of sweetness that is balanced with the champagne-like nip from the carbonation. This is (voice=alec guinness) the cider I've been looking for. I am happy.

Did you use any nutrient with the 3068?
Thanks,
JD

I have had mine in the fermentor for two months now and it is still bubbling away... any reason that it is in too long and could be bad? I have never played with the apple juice wines so after two months using ale yeast I am wondering if that is too long and I will have off flavors or if it doesn't matter.

I am starting my first batch today,and I am looking for suggestions. I have on hand Safe ale T-58, and Red star Pasteur champagne yeast. Any thoughts on sugars i.e honey, brown sugar, dextrose, cane etc. I'm using Great value 100% apple juice and I plan to bottle carb. Any advice from all of the Apfelweinos would be appreciated.

I am starting my first batch today,and I am looking for suggestions. I have on hand Safe ale T-58, and Red star Pasteur champagne yeast. Any thoughts on sugars i.e honey, brown sugar, dextrose, cane etc. I'm using Great value 100% apple juice and I plan to bottle carb. Any advice from all of the Apfelweinos would be appreciated.

Check out the comfortable temperature range for your yeast and how the opposite ends of that range will affect flavour, if at all.

Why only use one pound of sugar with beer yeasts? Can the alcohol content be pushed higher by using the two pounds of sugar as you would with the champagne yeast?

Why only use one pound of sugar with beer yeasts? Can the alcohol content be pushed higher by using the two pounds of sugar as you would with the champagne yeast?

I've got a batch of BTAW made with Wyeast 3068 on tap. It has a really good apple flavor. It's also really sweet with 2 lbs sugar. I'm cutting it with at least 50% Apfelwein (also on tap (thanks Ed)) to make it palatable. With less sugar I think this is a winning recipe for people who are trying to replicate commercial ciders, but 2 lbs sugar is too much. My next batches will be with 1/2 and 1 lbs of sugar to see where I can find the right sweet/dry balance.

For reference IIRC FG for popular commercial ciders is about:

Woodchuck: 1.030
Cider Jack: 1.020
Wood Pecker: 1.010

I made a batch the other night using wlp 300 and 2 pounds of corn sugar. How long is fermentation going to take. I was hoping it would be less than the montrachet, but it isn't looking that way. I used yeast nutrient and energizer and it is bubbling away and has a thick krausen.

You guys are crazy using dextrose. It tastes like hooch.

.75 lbs crystal 10L, 1oz torrified wheat steeped for 30 mins at 155.

Then add

1lb light DME and 1lb Amber DME boil for 15 minutes.

Throw that in with your 5 gallons of apple juice with some safale-05 or some notty.

That's a high quality apple drink at 2 weeks in the bottle or keg.

I think a lot of people have desensitized their taste buds and aquired a taste for hoochy apple juice, sugar, and wine yeast.

Unless apfelwein is a year old, it tastes hoochy or like cheap white wine.

Start using DME and some crystal grains and you will make an 8% cider which is really REALLY good.....even women like it.

everyone that has tried my first batch of AW with the monty yeast has really liked it. I think a lot of the appeal is the simplicity.

I must say, my batch with the WLP300 smells amazing. I can't stop sniffing the airlock.

Got mine started tonight with some campden and some pectic enzyme using unfiltered organic juice from Whole Foods. I'll be pitching Wyeast 3068 tomorrow with yeast nutrient.

Yum, can't wait.

Got mine started tonight with some campden and some pectic enzyme using unfiltered organic juice from Whole Foods. I'll be pitching Wyeast 3068 tomorrow with yeast nutrient.

Yum, can't wait.

Good luck with your Wyeast 3068 cider, mine is at a month now. I racked it to a secondary yesterday to bulk age it for another month before bottling. I don't expect to see any great improvement in clarity with this yeast, it's looks like fresh pressed apple cider from the farmer's market! Oddly enough the cider has a strong peanut butter fragrance and a little bit more in the after taste... You'll have to let me know if you experience the same thing.

You guys are crazy using dextrose. It tastes like hooch.

.75 lbs crystal 10L, 1oz torrified wheat steeped for 30 mins at 155.

Then add

1lb light DME and 1lb Amber DME boil for 15 minutes.

Throw that in with your 5 gallons of apple juice with some safale-05 or some notty.

That's a high quality apple drink at 2 weeks in the bottle or keg.

I think a lot of people have desensitized their taste buds and aquired a taste for hoochy apple juice, sugar, and wine yeast.

Unless apfelwein is a year old, it tastes hoochy or like cheap white wine.

Start using DME and some crystal grains and you will make an 8% cider which is really REALLY good.....even women like it.
I've been thinking of doing something along these lines, maybe even add a dash of hops to counter sweetness. sounds like it might have a little more beer body. I had read somewhere a while back that mixing the beer elements with apple juice would set any pectins and make it thick and cloudy -- or maybe that was with cider. Does your recipe finish clear or stay pretty cloudy? What do you think of a light hoping?

I've been thinking of doing something along these lines, maybe even add a dash of hops to counter sweetness. sounds like it might have a little more beer body. I had read somewhere a while back that mixing the beer elements with apple juice would set any pectins and make it thick and cloudy -- or maybe that was with cider. Does your recipe finish clear or stay pretty cloudy? What do you think of a light hoping?

I have started using a half ounce of hops and boil for 30 mins after steeping. It does wonders to counter the tart with young ciders.

Once you start adding malt and specialty grains to your cider you'll never go back. It tastes like good comercial cider. Apple juice, yeast and sugar....or even just apple juice and yeast is too tart and doesn't have any body at all.

I just did a batch with .5oz of summit hops and 60L. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Has anyone tried any of the trappist strains like WLP500? I would think it could easily handle the 2lbs of sugar and add plenty of fruitiness. I may give my next batch a try with one of these.

I'm also oaking 2 gallons of apfelwein from a previous batch, with plenty of patience it should pay off.

Has anyone tried any of the trappist strains like WLP500? I would think it could easily handle the 2lbs of sugar and add plenty of fruitiness. I may give my next batch a try with one of these.

I'm also oaking 2 gallons of apfelwein from a previous batch, with plenty of patience it should pay off.

I've used the white labs 550, 400, and 470 (all belgian-type strains) in ciders for test batches, and all of them have had an interesting "floral" or "perfumery" taste to them, which, when young, even overpower the apple flavors. They age out a little bit, but stick around. The women seem to love it, but the males stick to english ale yeasts in my side-by-side tests.

Has anyone tried adding say Light DME instead of the sugar? Wouldn't this impart more body to the brew? I don't know what grains would go well with this but a simple steeping grain bill would sounds interesting..

Has anyone tried adding say Light DME instead of the sugar? Wouldn't this impart more body to the brew? I don't know what grains would go well with this but a simple steeping grain bill would sounds interesting..

See 4 or 5 posts above this.

Yes, it gives more body.

What about dry hopping cider? I have a batch that has been sitting for almost 3 months and want to bottle in 1 month or so. Should i dry hop 1 week before I bottle? I think half will be carbed and half still.

I was wondering..... what would be the Whitelabs equivalent for Wyeast 3068 or even the Wyeast 3056. I only ask because my LHBS only caries Whitelabs. I would like to try something equivalent to the 3068 cause you sold me on it. As always, thanks for the help! :fro:

What about dry hopping cider? I have a batch that has been sitting for almost 3 months and want to bottle in 1 month or so. Should i dry hop 1 week before I bottle? I think half will be carbed and half still.

I don't reccomend it. The bittering from hops is nice in very small hardly noticeable amounts. It balances the tart in younger ciders and helps with drinkability. In order to get that slight bittering use half oz of right around 6% AA hops and boil for 30 mins.

I do that for a 5 gallon batch.

I have started using a half ounce of hops and boil for 30 mins after steeping. It does wonders to counter the tart with young ciders.

Once you start adding malt and specialty grains to your cider you'll never go back. It tastes like good comercial cider. Apple juice, yeast and sugar....or even just apple juice and yeast is too tart and doesn't have any body at all.

I just did a batch with .5oz of summit hops and 60L. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This batch was nice. The 60L is the way to go instead of the 10L.

The summit hops are a little too high in AA at 18.5% compared to cascades or challenger at around 6%.

Good, but I'll be sticking with half oz of 6%AA boiled for 30 minutes.

This batch was nice. The 60L is the way to go instead of the 10L.

The summit hops are a little too high in AA at 18.5% compared to cascades or challenger at around 6%.

Good, but I'll be sticking with half oz of 6%AA boiled for 30 minutes.

Are you using .75 lbs of the 60L? Are you steeping this in Apple Juice I suppose for... and Boiling the various DMEs in apple juice?

I just pitched what I could get together.

I had 22ozs of light LME left over and took it up to 2# total with 10 ozs of extra light DME.

I heated 2 quarts of apple juice to 150 F, added 2 cinnamon sticks and two whole cloves, and steeped that covered off the heat for two hours.

I could only find WY3056, gave a 2qt starter of Apple juice a 24 hour head start.

I stuck all that (4 gallons AJ total) in a five gallon cornie, planning to add the 5th gallon of AJ when the primary settles down.

Half a pound of steeped 60L sounds like a good idea, I am pretty enthusiastic about this.

Will update in a few weeks.

I just pitched what I could get together.

I had 22ozs of light LME left over and took it up to 2# total with 10 ozs of extra light DME.

I heated 2 quarts of apple juice to 150 F, added 2 cinnamon sticks and two whole cloves, and steeped that covered off the heat for two hours.

I could only find WY3056, gave a 2qt starter of Apple juice a 24 hour head start.

I stuck all that (4 gallons AJ total) in a five gallon cornie, planning to add the 5th gallon of AJ when the primary settles down.

Half a pound of steeped 60L sounds like a good idea, I am pretty enthusiastic about this.

Will update in a few weeks.

If you boiled apple juice you are gonna NEED to add pectic enzyme. I have done it both ways and I just used water for the steeping grains and boiling now.

Brandon - using malt extract instead of sugar or honey sounds like a great call. I'm planning to experiment with it next season

Question: if I just want to use the malt extract to bump the SG - no grains or hops - then there is no absolute need to boil, right? Couldn't I just add it to the unpasteurized juice and let it dissolve just like sugar or honey. My guess is that it probably takes longer to dissolve but nothing that rolling a carboy around on the floor for a while wouldnt take care of, especially if I use the liquid extract. Assuming that the malt extract was produced with reasonably sanitary conditions, it shouldnt add any foreign yeast or bacteria to the mix, right? I'd rather not dilute the juice with any water is possible. Or am I missing something here?

Brandon - using malt extract instead of sugar or honey sounds like a great call. I'm planning to experiment with it next season

Question: if I just want to use the malt extract to bump the SG - no grains or hops - then there is no absolute need to boil, right? Couldn't I just add it to the unpasteurized juice and let it dissolve just like sugar or honey. My guess is that it probably takes longer to dissolve but nothing that rolling a carboy around on the floor for a while wouldnt take care of, especially if I use the liquid extract. Assuming that the malt extract was produced with reasonably sanitary conditions, it shouldnt add any foreign yeast or bacteria to the mix, right? I'd rather not dilute the juice with any water is possible. Or am I missing something here?

Assuming your DME or LME is sanitary then you might not have an issue, besides clumping and dissolving issues.

I wouldn't assume that though. You can dissolve 2 lbs of DME or LME in 2 quarts or 2 Liters of water. I would atleast bring it to a boil, but that's just me.

Note that the Danstar Munich has been bumped to the bottom. The twiggy flavor in it seems to be stronger. It's drinkable and less dry, but that wood flavor is distracting.

I'd been thinking about dumping this batch.

But at the 9 month mark (7 mos in the bottle) it's really settling in. The twigginess is down to a subtle almost-tannic note that is not out of place. I probably won't make it again, but if you are sitting on a batch of this stuff it can get enjoyable over time.

I'd been thinking about dumping this batch.

But at the 9 month mark (7 mos in the bottle) it's really settling in. The twigginess is down to a subtle almost-tannic note that is not out of place. I probably won't make it again, but if you are sitting on a batch of this stuff it can get enjoyable over time.

i really like the woodsy taste of nottingham. it is nice with malty flavor I think.

Three weeks out my batch from post 234 above is at 1.011. I personally like the flavor a lot better than from using corn sugar, but I sure wish I had remembered to steep that half pound of 60L Crystal.

I did not boil the apple juice. I heated about 2 quarts to 155°F and stuck a cinamon stick and some cloves in it for about 45 mintues.

What I have could use some more mouthfeel and a little deeper, maltier flavor. I am well on the way from cidery hooch to a keg I can label "Funky Cold Medina." The tart apple-ey taste I want is there and the vinegar-ey hooch feel I don't want is much faded.

Tart apple with malt sweetness, half a pound of 60L it is. I think I'll bottle in another week or so to free up a fermenter.

Back